Review by anua24060 -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Review by anua24060 -- How To Be Successful

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy is a non-fiction book in which the author talks about the principles that helped him to attain success in his personal and professional life. M. Curtis owned companies in various fields like fashion, medical, and manufacturing by the time he was 27. But his life turned upside down when he was diagnosed with brain cancer. Doctors gave him ninety days to live, and he saw his businesses crumbling around him. His family took him to Mexico to explore alternative treatment methods. He recovered from cancer and established a large mobile networking company. Based on his experiences with success and failure, the author decided to write this book.

The author approached successful people in various fields and interviewed them about how they did what they did. This book contains the interviews of a Navy SEAL, a preacher, a successful entrepreneur who was once a convict, and many other interesting people who had achieved success in their respective fields. This book also contains the interview of the author’s mother, who escaped from an abusive relationship, raised her two sons as a single mother, and then became the chief marketing executive of a big mobile network company.

The chapters alternate between interviews and the principles that are essential for success. The author discussed various topics like delayed gratification, the importance of time, gratitude, developing good habits, etc. The book was made more interesting with examples thrown in the middle, which helps the reader understand the author better. The author also emphasizes the importance of reading in improving one’s worldview and intellect. This book also consists of useful tips to improve social skills. He explains the importance of making successful friends and the positive results that could be gained from them. 

Although this book is more about financial success, it also talks about how family and friends are also important parts of being successful. Almost all the people featured in this book talked about the role their family played in their success. The importance of health and physical fitness in a successful life is also discussed.

The thing I liked the most about this book is the conversational style in which it was written. It makes the book more interesting. Although this book focuses on entrepreneurs, these principles can be used in every walk of life to improve the quality of living. 

There is nothing I disliked about the book. There is no profanity. The book is very finely edited.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is useful, inspiring and finely edited. I recommend it to readers who like self-help and motivational books and aspiring entrepreneurs.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I like that a self-help book also speaks about social skills improvement. The author's own experience is priceless too. Thanks for a great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very inspirational story. I'm glad the author was able to overcome his diagnosis of brain cancer. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. I'm glad to know that the author was able to overcome his sickness and even able to provide us this helpful book. I'm looking forward to their stories about successes. Hope I will be able to benefit from them.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a detailed and insightful review. I enjoyed reading it. Good job, and thanks for the recommendation.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I like that this book addresses success holistically. It sounds like an enlightening read.

Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 00:01 I like that this book addresses success holistically. It sounds like an enlightening read.

Thank you for a great review!
Saint Bruno wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 16:11 This is a detailed and insightful review. I enjoyed reading it. Good job, and thanks for the recommendation.
Sou Hi wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 10:02 Thanks for your informative review. I'm glad to know that the author was able to overcome his sickness and even able to provide us this helpful book. I'm looking forward to their stories about successes. Hope I will be able to benefit from them.
Ellylion wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 05:29 I like that a self-help book also speaks about social skills improvement. The author's own experience is priceless too. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for reading the review!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

You have written a clear review. Even I enjoyed the book very much. The converstaional style made me feel like sitting in a seminar, and the speaker was conversing one on one.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

It’s great that the author’s writing style is conversational in tone. A lot of reviews suggest that this is a really insightful read.
Aishwarya Chhabra
Currently Reading: Make The Dirt Fly
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishwarya-chhabra.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Aishwarya Chhabra »

Detailed and a nice review. It makes me appreciate the book's content a lot. The theme of the book is so relevant. Thanks for the review.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:

Aishwarya Chhabra wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 23:58 Detailed and a nice review. It makes me appreciate the book's content a lot. The theme of the book is so relevant. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading the review!
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

A self help books coming from a successful person hits the right spot. Coupled with interviews from other people, who has done tremendously in their fields too, I bet readers will enjoy it. Great review.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:

Fabulous mind wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 02:01 A self help books coming from a successful person hits the right spot. Coupled with interviews from other people, who has done tremendously in their fields too, I bet readers will enjoy it. Great review.
Yes, the author's experience with success inspires readers a lot. Thanks for reading the review!
Muskan Afzal-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-afzal.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale

Post by Muskan Afzal- »

This seems like such a helpful manual for anyone looking to launch their own company! I'm happy the author provided insightful advice on how the reader may effectively realise their aspirations. I appreciate the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”