Review by Amanda Newton -- Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Review by Amanda Newton -- Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Nekkid Lake" by Noah Bond.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond is a horror novel with a lot of elements of a good thriller. This novel was my first encounter with this author and I am happy to have found a new author to enjoy. This book is able to combine police procedure with paranormal elements and folklore in a small town in a surprising and effective way.

Nekkid Lake is a story about a place named Necklan's Lake, but it has gained the nickname of "Nekkid Lake" due to the tradition of the seniors drinking, dancing, and skinny dipping there after prom. The story opens in May of 2014 where the senior class is leaving prom to head to the lake for their party. It is almost midnight on the night of the full blood moon. Sometime during the night, the party goes deadly awry, leaving all but one girl missing and assumed to be dead. The rest of the story follows a college student as she interns with the police and attempts to solve the cold case.

My favorite part of this story was how it perfectly blended the thriller and horror genre. I spent the entire book never really sure where the line was between human and supernatural. My least favorite part is me being pretty picky. I didn't like that the main character, Tess, was majoring in forensic science but was sent to work with the police department and one that only has two officers at that. Forensic scientists aren't cops, they are civilians who analyze crime scenes and don't do any work arresting people or chasing down leads and getting interviews.

I would recommend Nekkid Lake as a book for an adult audience. While most of the book is tame, there are references to alcohol use, sex, nudity, and a little bit of bloody gore, especially at the beginning and end. I think that anyone who enjoys a good mystery, thriller, or paranormal book would really enjoy this story. It was realistic and well written. This book did seem to have been professionally edited as I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors while reading.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. It was an enjoyable book with realistic characters. It kept me on the edge of my seat until I knew exactly what had happened. It didn't have so much gore and violence to make me need to take a break. Due to how well written it was and how much I enjoyed reading it, I feel it would be wrong to give this book anything less than a perfect score.

Nekkid Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This novel seems interesting and spooky! I definitely want to read this one. Thanks for your brilliant review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”