Review by valeriejane -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by valeriejane -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

Post by Valerie Garske »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is a dark fantasy novel by Matthew Tysz. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and was looking forward to reading the next in the series. I especially liked Galen because he is kind, generous, and naïve. Nevertheless, I was disappointed to discover the second installment is significantly more profane and foreboding than the first. Indeed, the book begins with a callous attempted rape of a young girl which was unsettling and pointless.

Be advised, this is not a book for young audiences or general audiences. It contains graphic content and exploits the dark side. There are gory and offensive subplots that may make some readers uncomfortable. If you enjoy dark fantasy novels, then perhaps you will enjoy this volume. This book has received some high ratings, however, I found it too violent and disturbing to enjoy.

I read for fun. The first book was a fun adventure, however, the subsequent novel is extremely disturbing. There were many times I felt uncomfortable. What I did not like about the book was the ongoing vulgar depiction of women. The novel contains several scenes of sexual violence and depreciating content involving women. In my opinion, the book went too far with the mutilation of a pregnant wife and her unborn child. Furthermore, the book is somewhat homophobic by referring to such individuals as slanted. Consequently, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

Notwithstanding, Mr. Tysz demonstrates an incredible ability to create a unique world with the written word. He adroitly describes villains and their surroundings with clarity and superb characterization. In this second series, we once again meet up with Galen and his two friends. Although each character possesses a unique personality, the combination of humility, ambition, and arrogance creates an interesting dynamic among the three friends. Gaylen, Demetrius, and Rowan arrive in Virko in the midst of turmoil. There are many factors at play: the physical world, the magical world, and the spiritual world. While the trio is on a benign mission to obtain material for Galen’s business, they discover that a demon is threatening the city. The friends find themselves at a crossroads when trying to decide how to come to terms with this discovery. Consequently, multiple powers collide as each plot and struggle to obtain control of the industrial city of Virko. Horrific violence and chaos ensue. The story ends with an unexpected twist, which will keep the reader guessing.

What I liked best about the book is the character, Galen. I enjoyed the character Galen because he is awkward and genuine. When he encounters an attractive girl named Sabine, the only thing he can think to impress her is to exclaim his friend has a horse with the same name. Admittedly, I did laugh at that encounter. Unquestionably, there are not many positive characters in this story, and Galen remains my favorite. Unfortunately, my “book crush” on Galen must come to an end. I won’t be reading any more of this series.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”