Review by Mmg8464 -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mmg8464
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmg8464.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by Mmg8464 -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Mmg8464 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you had more than a ton of weed worth $1Million, but technically, you are not a drug dealer, and you have no idea or means on how to dispose of them?

Declan Noakes, an army ranger during the Vietnam war, smuggled high-grade weed called Juicy Fruit from Thailand. He came back home when the army discharged him because of a head injury, but he was feeling restless and suffering from PTSD. He craved freedom and didn't want the responsibility society dictates, so he decided to live like a drifter and spend his days on Amtrak trains traveling to nowhere. Juicy Fruit and the Bible are his companions, helping him in coping with his demons. Four years later, he still has the bulk of it, selling or trading only to friends to sustain himself.

Ben Fisher, Declan's buddy from the Vietnam war, suddenly surfaced and seemed to be looking for trouble. Ben turned out to be a shady character and became a drug dealer with connections with the mob. He came intending to go after Declan's cache of weed. Unknown to Declan, Ben is collaborating with two corrupt Amtrack police, who had been harassing him on the train.

The narrative started slow, showing his life as a drifter and, at times flashing back to his time at war. About halfway through, the excitement starts building up and boom. I didn't expect the explosive action, and I was pleasantly surprised. With the antagonists double-crossing each other, and with the local police getting involved, there were twists that I didn't see coming.

The Juicy Fruit Man by Lamar Going highlights the life and struggles of war veterans. It is about family, friends, loyalty, betrayal, and honor. Mr. Going writes beautifully and eloquently. An example is "Declan found an orphan shawl on a seat across the aisle and gently wrapped the old man with the tenderness of a mother feline."

What I liked most is Declan's character. He is a kind and simple man who loves his family, but he is also a badass. His protectiveness to his cousin Rachel is heartwarming, and I also liked their familiar banter with each other. There is nothing I disliked about this book, and it seems professionally edited as I found only one typo.

I recommend this to readers who like thrillers, but don't recommend to minors because of the drug use depicted and the violence. There is no sexual content nor profanity in this book, and this deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Wrong Side of the Glass
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: The Blue Washing Bag by Mary Clancy

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I read the first ten pages of this one and found the writing style to be quite captivating. It’s an interesting premise, and I’m sure there are many military veterans who feel like lost drifters once they return home. The heartwarming banter would definitely please me too! Thank you for your review.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Zara Hanson
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Mtibza eM »

This book looks interesting enough for me to get it. Thank you for the review.
Pistorious
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pistorious.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Pistorious »

Your review is detailed and eye-catching. I like the question you posed in the first paragraph. it lures one into reading the book.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It certainly cannot be easy to sell a ton of weed if you are lacking the contacts in that kind of business. It must be interesting to read how the protagonist achieves his goal.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Man Under The Elm by Gerry Wycherley
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I love the title. and your review was entertaining. Your description of the protagonists was great.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Zara Hanson
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Mtibza eM »

Whoa! The plot of this book seems to be exciting enough for me to get it and read it. Thank you for sharing your review.
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn

Post by Chizioboli »

I wouldn't imagine how this man would feel because the money is needed but how to get it becomes the problem. I love how captivating your review is. I felt like I was reading the book already
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by OBC Reviewer »

War veterans always have many psychological problems related to war. Seemingly this author has creatively used that fact to build a fiction on it. Nice review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”