Review by rahilshajahan -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by rahilshajahan -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of...

Post by rahilshajahan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And my boy Folcro is back! I have to start like this because I was missing him so much. There is so much happening in this book that the cliffhanger in the last installment is justified. So, welcome to my review of the sixth installment of the We are Voulhire Series, The Flesh of the Mind, written by Matthew Tysz.

Right off the bat, we are introduced to Lady Angela of Cridaea. Remember the Riva Rohavi? They came to terrorize the town of Cridaea only to be stopped by their very skilled archers who were captained by Lady Angela. After Meldorath's disappearance into Caromentis, the Emperor of Lullabies didn't waste any time at invading Voulhire. His humongous teleporting black ships hover over all of the major cities and towns of Voulhire. His inhuman shadow-like minions reached the city of Souhire, claiming a peaceful takeover of Voulhire. Being the badass he is, King Nartik stabs the shadow in the face and declares war on the emperor. Lady Angela also receives the takeover message of the emperor through his shadow ambassadors. Much to her criticality and wonder, she doesn't believe any of the words uttered by these faceless shadows. She travels to the city of Ballerhal to set some barricades up and find some allies to face the emperor's invasion, incase it turns violent.

Where is Galen, Demi, and Rowan? Our beloved trio has broken up. Galen is floating in the magical land of Caromentis, hoping to find Meldorath, who Galen believes is the one guy who might have a chance against the emperor. Feeling that the only safe spot is Diamora, Demi and Rowan head to the heart of the Dire Vine Jungle. Diamora is the secret academy of the Mianoran Knights, where the once chancellor of Voulhire, Midius Maido, thrives. Maido requested Demi's help for tutoring the young knights at Diamora, so that one day he may claim back his position at the Mianoran Council. Demi and Rowan think Galen is dead. Akistry prophesized the coming of a witch to battle Demi in the previous installment of the series. Who is this witch? Who are the allies Lady Angela might find? Are they the same? Will Galen bring Meldorath back to save Voulhire? Read the book to find out.

To all those who criticized the series for its lack of female characters, behold yet another strong one. Lady Angela of Cridaea is the sister of Rowan. Rowan's archery skills are the efforts of his enigmatic sister Angela. Being the captain of the archers at Cridaea and having married the mayor's son, she holds a powerful position in the council of the town. It's her critical thinking and brave action that saved her city from the Riva Rohavi. I also liked the arrival of Folcro as late as it may seem. He entered at the right moment wielding the right powers to impress any of the worrywarts such as myself. I commend Tysz on his ability to find the most opportune entry moment for Folcro. His storytelling abilities are top-notch in this installment as well, bringing the highlight of the book towards the end.

Considering the aforementioned points, I would rate the book four out of four stars. There was nothing to dislike in the book. The book was professionally edited. I found one minor typo which didn't hinder my reading experience. There is the presence of mild sexual content in one of the chapters. There is also a fair share of gore and profanity. I would suggest children stay away from this book. I recommend this book to all thriller-fantasy fanatics out there.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! The book is on it's 6th installment already! I love this series but stopped at the second installment. Will pick off from where I stopped. Beautiful review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Enemy in the Mirror by Constance D. Dixon

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read Matthew Tysz before; it was a bit too all over the place for me. However, it wasn't this series. I've read so many good reviews of this series that I am beginning to wonder if I need to try him again. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Tortured in Ashram by Prem Nambiar
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nice to see perfect ratings for this installment too. I've only read the first one. Thanks for your wonderful review and recommendations.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ellylion »

Come on, you like Folcro? lol The final twist got me very intrigued. Also, hopefully the Voulhirians noticed that Meldorath became a god or something like this. :) Thanks for a great review!

P. S.
Angela is my favorite girl so far. :)

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

I'm glad Matthew found Lady Angela on this one. We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End only had Sophie Shore and Beth who didn't develop at all. Thanks for the review.

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: Guarding Doors
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Governance for a New Era by Robert Stephen Higgins

Post by Sou Hi »

Hey, I noticed that as soon as Galen disappears from the Cosmos, Voulhire's casualty rate drops significantly: no massacres, no large-scale attacks which will end with their loss, no deaths of important people. Is this a coincidence?

By the way, you see how badass Folcro is now :wink2:?

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: The Last Minder by Fish Phillips

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I love this well detailed and insightful review. I need to start from the first series to be able to follow up. great review.

aby johnson
2019 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Your review writing style is splendid and i loved it. Hope to read this series one day. I love thrillers and Fantasy. Keep dropping awesome reviewes man. You are truly inspiring.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Fairytale of a Felony Stalker by Miranda Dye

Post by Dominik_G »

I haven't read the series yet but your enthusiastic review just made me want to pick up the first book. Thank you!

Viczboy16
Currently Reading: Perfectly Famous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html

Post by Viczboy16 »

I love the series and I just reviewed this book. You can check it out. I love the vivid description of caromentis which is a world of one’s mind, hence the title “ the flesh of the mind.”

Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I have read the first 3 books of this series and this part seems promising, just like I expected it.

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

Your enthusiasm for this book is jumping off the screen. Even though I don't enjoy this genre, I did enjoy reading your review.

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’m currently reading this book. It’s sad to know that the trio broke up. This is getting more interesting.. I want to finish reading this soon. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Don't Judge the Day by the Dawn by Erica L. Dretzka
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Your enthusiasm for this series really shined through your review! Great job, I'm sure the author will appreciate your positive remarks.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”