Review by Radhika_puri -- Divided World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Review by Radhika_puri -- Divided World

Post by Radhika_puri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Divided World" by Kenneth Pickering.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Divided World Plays of Occupation and Dispossession by Kenneth Pickering, Hannah Khalil, Kate Al Hadid, and Hassan Abdulrazzak is a collection of plays. The book starts with Kenneth Pickering explaining about the book and the motivation that helped in writing the book. The book contains historical fiction describing the culture, regions of that time. Each play was written independently, and the plays don't have anything in common.

The book contains total six plays written by Kenneth Pickering, Hannah Khalil, Kate Al Hadid, and Hassan Abdulrazzak. The plays vary in length. All are a short read except one “Jump” which is a long play containing various scenes and acts. The story of each play was impressive and was written with a message in it.

The first play describes the partition based on wealth and interest irrespective of what will happen to the people living there. Next plays describe about different issues such as British museums benefiting from Arabian History. A play describes the people of Syria indirectly. A play “Jump” was filled with lots of emotions. It was the story of Yousef and how he was chasing behind his dreams. I liked all the stories.

I liked the format of the book. Firstly, they tell about the writer and work done by him/ her. Then all the plays written by that writer are given. This way a small summary about each writer is given and then their play is there. It was easy to know who wrote the play, and it makes the reading easy. It was a great way to connect with the writers and to know more about them.

The stories seemed so real and the way they have written it makes me feel all the emotions those people went through at that time. All scenes seemed to play in front of me as I read the book. The characters were introduced in the beginning of each play, and it was easy to know the personality of a particular character.

The thing I liked the most about the book is the way it was formatted. It makes the reading easy. The thing I disliked about the book is the writing style it was confusing. Many times I thought there are grammatical mistakes, but then again, because of the writing style, there was a doubt that maybe the phrases are written as they were spoken. So, I find it difficult to understand that the error, I am reading is an actual error, or it is just how the thing was spoken. So, based on my experience with this book I think this book is professionally edited.

I want to give this book four out of four stars. I liked the stories and the powerful message behind each story. I didn’t give it three stars because I think the plays were good enough, and the book offers a lot of information.

I want to recommend this book to people who love to read plays or have an interest in historical things. There were many profanities in the book. The play “American Nightmare” is sexual in nature. There was erotic content in the book. So the people uncomfortable with this should not read the book.

Divided World
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”