Review by dianaterrado -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by dianaterrado -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga ...

Post by dianaterrado »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes, by Janet McNulty, is a sci-fi fantasy novel that follows the journey of five unlikely heroes coming together to save the universe from the hands of those seeking to control it.

Rynah is a Lanyran security officer whose planet is on the brink of collapse. After the betrayal of a trusted ally, she goes on a quest to save her home planet and its inhabitants. On what is bound to be a perilous journey, four others will join Rynah. With the aid of Solaris, a temperamental artificial intelligence (AI), Rynah and gang will take readers on a thrilling and unforgettable ride.

I can count on one hand the number of sci-fi books I've read. So when the opportunity to read Solaris Seethes presented itself, I quickly jumped on it. After finishing the book in one sitting, I can honestly say I made the right decision.

What I greatly enjoyed about the book was witnessing the growth of each character. They started as a bunch of people who could not be more different and therefore, could barely get along. But as the story progressed, each of them showed what they were truly capable of. They became a tightly knit group who will do anything to protect each other. And I loved that.

My favorite among the group is Alfric. He's a Viking king, but he was surprisingly gentle and protective. He can be very scary when he wants to be, but he has a soft and caring heart. Brie was also an outstanding character. She went from a fearful 16-year-old to someone who would sacrifice herself for others despite her fears. Rynah is a fearless heroine. She isn't used to relying on anyone but herself. She can be very judgmental, but her heart is in the right place. Solon and Tom round up the group. Solon is a Greek philosopher, and he's much like Brie. His strength comes not from how good he can swing a sword, but from his unwavering determination. Tom is a young inventor with a bright mind. He's the fun one in the group.

I honestly think Solaris played the biggest role, which was a bit of a surprise considering she was AI. But now that I think about it, it really should have been obvious from the beginning. The book is called Solaris Seethes.

I had a really good time reading the book. The author's writing was engaging, and the excitement didn't let up from page one. From meat-eating plants and murderous pirates to wolf-like beasts, Solaris Seethes took me on an action-packed journey I will not soon forget. It was also humorous, which was a welcome surprise. This is the first installment in the Solaris Saga, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books. Solaris Seethes didn't exactly end on a happy note, but I'm hoping the sequel will go the way I expect.

The book was professionally edited. I noticed no errors in grammar and spelling. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. If you're a fan of sci-fi fantasy with a great cast of characters you will root for, this book is definitely for you.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”