Review by Chloe Paul -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chloe Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe-paul.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Review by Chloe Paul -- How To Be Successful

Post by Chloe Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy is a guide to self-help. Being successful does not come easy. Hard work and sacrifice are main tenets in making a huge life decision. McCoy uses his own and others’ experiences as a framework for how to be successful. He interviews partners of national companies and business developers that have all seen great accomplishments in their lifetimes. Taking the lessons illustrated in these stories, the reader is able to see for themselves what it takes to become a success in their own lives.

Getting advice from heavy hitters in the business world and seeing how they made a name for themselves is advantageous to all. McCoy’s book is a quick read but interesting and motivational to everyone. Whether you need someone to tell you “just do it” or not, you’ll feel inspired to risk it all.

I would give this book a 3 out of 4 because, while being well edited, I gained a new appreciation for going after great dreams but felt the whole thing was a little fantastical. I liked the idea of interviewing other people and gaining their perspective on the same few questions for the book. It was interesting to see how they approach different aspects of their lives similarly and dissimilarly than other successful people. I know how motivational novels encourage people to take hold of their life and make something for themselves but I felt that there were points that some lessons could seem a little tone-deaf. Not everyone can just decide to sacrifice everything in their life to make their company a reality. I understand the sentiment of making big moves in order to obtain big rewards but that is not always possible.

There is a strong theme of christian religion throughout the book that might exclude some people from wanting to read. Spirituality and praying is something that not all people are comfortable with but can be vital to others. Besides that limitation, the main message of the book applies to all people. It would especially be helpful to people on the cusp of making a big life decision. I would caution any reader that there is mention of suicide that might be upsetting and triggering.

Do I feel utterly ready to take on anything life throws at me? Not exactly. Did this book make me think that I could try to? Sure.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”