Review by Christy G -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fict...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christy G
Favorite Book: Grace Revealed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christy-g.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review by Christy G -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fict...

Post by Christy G »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H Coles is a comprehensive guide book for writers interested in fiction writing. The book is divided in two segments. The first segment outlining how character development is everything by making each character unique. He also explains how to create believable dialogue that propels the story by using conflict, surprise element, and how humor can help a character become memorable.

Narration is also prioritized as the reader will be looking for creativity expressed in a readable and admirable way. The importance of a well-structured, attention-grabbing story with drama and freshness is recommended to keep any reader attached. Book two covers the fundamentals of telling a story, how a story comes to life, and how a written outline may be valuable to improve the story.

Each chapter explains the many aspects of fiction writing, with examples that help explain the points made. I could find no mistakes, the book is well edited. It has no foul language. There were no grammar mistakes i found while reading the book. The thing I liked most about the book is how every element of fiction writing is well outlined, with the author going a step further to illustrate using examples on how to apply this elements. I particularly liked the Little Red Riding Hood story showcasing the importance of character and how to give your character unique elements that make them endure over time. It was interesting to see the writer restructure one character by driving the plot to showcase different character base meaning.

Creating a good character helps achieve theme and meaning giving your story a more lasting impact. It’s always important to create a character and good drama that readers can relate to emotionally making the reader feel like they are part of the story. William H Coles, explains literary fictional story writing and it’s evolvement over the centuries. The essential guidelines in this book will improve your skills in structuring characters, narration, plot, and writing memorable stories. It’s the kind of book that will give a writer great foundation with the revision section outlining clearly all the principles of writing.

I would recommend this book to anyone aspiring to be a writer as well as those seeking to improve their writing skills. It a great book full of wisdom defining the relevance of fiction writing. It’s the kind of book to keep close for referral while writing. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”