Review by dianaterrado -- The Fisherman and his Foundlings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by dianaterrado -- The Fisherman and his Foundlings

Post by dianaterrado »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fisherman and his Foundlings" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly tells an inspiring and heartwarming story of the life of a simple old fisherman. The old man lost his wife to leprosy ten years ago. Despite this tragic loss, he chose to live a life dedicated to helping others. He gives food to homeless children even though it involves a risky journey through dangerous terrain. He helps save the lives of the survivors of shipwrecks. He also helps people who suffer from leprosy.

When the old fisherman comes across an injured merchild one fateful day, the old man doesn’t think twice about helping her. The merfolk are known for their brutality and hatred toward the land folk. Despite this, the old man didn’t hesitate to show kindness. He carried the merchild, and he helped heal her wound.

What I like the most about the book are the lessons it teaches us. Phillip Leighton-Daly weaved a story that is both entertaining and potentially life-changing. He also created a character that will surely serve as an inspiration and a role model for readers.

The old fisherman showed a great deal of selflessness. He has the natural inclination to be helpful, caring, and generous. I think we can all learn a thing or two from the old man. I also think that if we all strive to live the way he did, the world will be a much better place.

There is also a lesson to be found in the merfolk's cruelty. They do not value kindness. They see concern for others as a sign of weakness. The merfolk are the exact opposite of the old man. The merfolk live in a constant state of hatred and this leaves very little room for anything else. They are hateful and prideful. They are the embodiment of that which we all try to avoid becoming.

I didn't know beforehand that the book contained illustrations. The artwork gave the story a more vibrant feel. It was a welcome surprise, and it certainly helped capture my interest.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well-edited. I liked the illustrations. I think they complemented the story well. The plot was easy enough to follow. I greatly enjoyed reading the book.

I would recommend The Fisherman and his Foundlings to both young adult and adult readers. The book is also suited for children, but it uses an extensive vocabulary that adult supervision will be needed. Anyone who enjoys a good story that is filled to the brim with life lessons would love this book.

The Fisherman and his Foundlings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”