Review by daydreaming reader -- We are Voulhire: The Fir...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by daydreaming reader -- We are Voulhire: The Fir...

Post by daydreaming reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire, the Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz, is the second book in the "We are Voulhire" series.

Virko is a capitalist city on the verge of completely ridding itself of religion. It is a city built on industriousness, not a religion, and not magic. Yet in the depths of the house of the dying Lord of Virko, a darkness hovers. A darkness that is soon to erupt across the entire city.

Back at Magnum Caelum, Galen decides to undertake the task of bringing prosperity to his new home. He plans to do this by finding materials for his blacksmith business.

Over at Yamon Soul, a suspicion arises about the attack on Hillport. This heralds the unexpected onto the holy grounds. As such strife emerges and spreads across the country, the unsuspecting King considers the country's future.

I received the PDF version of this book to review, which contained 150 pages.

I am a fan of this type of fantasy/mystery genre. Similar to the first book, the storytelling is engaging and the plot is intriguing. The author introduces several new characters, some of whom are quite interesting and well written. The multiple perspectives of the story are excellent and allow a slower buildup to the series climax, while providing smaller, unexpected twists to keep the reader engaged. While this book is part of a series, I do feel like there is enough information present for the reader to understand without having to have read the previous book.

On the surface, it is difficult for me to pinpoint anything major that I disliked about this book. On a deeper and more personal level, I would have liked to see a female character who is not in a supporting role. Additionally, I was taken aback by the treatment of "slanted" individuals. Religion in this book is a bit complicated since there seems to be a relationship between magic and religion. Some people may find this offensive. There are also instances of communicating with demons, black magic, torture, rape, and murder that will not appeal to everyone. One particular scene did not appeal to me at all.

There were some minor formatting issues. These did not distract from the understanding of or the enjoyment of the story. However, it does lose a star due to this. As such, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars .

I would recommend this book to fans of fantasy/mystery. I recommended the first book of this series to readers 16 years and over. However, I felt as though Fire of Virko was targeted towards a more mature audience. Therefore, I recommend this book for readers 18 years and over. I would not recommend this book for persons who are highly sensitive to the themes of religion, demons, rape, and murder.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”