Review by REIGN GODDESS -- The Fisherman and his Foundlings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review by REIGN GODDESS -- The Fisherman and his Foundlings

Post by Huini Hellen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fisherman and his Foundlings" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly is a fictional account of Peter's life, a fisherman, who lived on a coastal piece of land. His deceased wife had succumbed to an illness, while at the leper colony caring for the sick. Peter thought about his wife and became sad because of her untimely demise. As a result, he derived happiness from engaging in noble tasks that gave meaning to his life.

The fisherman dedicated his life to his trade and used the gains made to feed the orphans at the mission and the dwellers of the leper colony. He was overjoyed whenever the children would receive him warmly and jubilantly as soon as he was sighted from a distance. One day, Peter found an injured merchild. This encounter with the child turned his life around, in a way that he had never expected.

The strength of this book is in the descriptions of its characters, settings and incidents. I enjoyed reading the author's description of the land terrain. The additional use of illustrations enhanced my understanding of these geographical locations. However, I think that some illustrations were not well done as they only provided vague ideas of what they depicted. For example, the queen's skin complexion is described as very white unlike the merchild's milky white skin complexion; those descriptions are not distinct at all from their presentations in the illustrations.

I also had a problem with how the plot was developed. The story veered off the main course on several occasions without a clear direction or definite path. More specifically, the transition of the story from the land folk to the merfolk was not properly done and dragged down the storyline. I also found the addition of scanty details very irrelevant. The book is edited exceptionally and contains only one grammatical mistake.

Factoring all the above reasons in mind, I rate this book two out of four stars. I recommend it to teenagers aged thirteen to sixteen years. There are specific comparisons, which are not universal and may fail to resonate with every reader across the globe - I for one, only got the concept of how the Roman soldiers dressed after surfing through images from the Internet. I would have to commend the author for a nice moral lesson at the end, which mentors a reader to be selfless, kind and generous in life; to always prioritize assisting the less fortunate in the society - the orphans and sick people.

The Fisherman and his Foundlings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I enjoyed reading your great review. It was insightful and engaging. Good job and thanks for the recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The plot sounds promising with some great lessons to teach. Such a shame there were plenty of issues that affected your enjoyment of this book. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 03:34 I enjoyed reading your great review. It was insightful and engaging. Good job and thanks for the recommendation.
I'm truly grateful for your comment Bruno.😊
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 06:41 The plot sounds promising with some great lessons to teach. Such a shame there were plenty of issues that affected your enjoyment of this book. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
I truly regretted the fact that this book was not fully enhanced to deserve a maximum rating. Thank you for your comment.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I also hate it when the main plot gets buried into other subplots which have no connection to the main story. Thanks for your honest review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

rahilshajahan wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 02:57 I also hate it when the main plot gets buried into other subplots which have no connection to the main story. Thanks for your honest review!
I am truly grateful for your comment.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The book carries out a good message, I would say, but I disliked the ending. It was quite irrelevant, or I just didn't understand it. Thanks for your honest and detailed review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your honest review. I dislike books with a messy plot, so this book is not to my taste. Guess I will skip it.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Ellylion wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 06:18 The book carries out a good message, I would say, but I disliked the ending. It was quite irrelevant, or I just didn't understand it. Thanks for your honest and detailed review!
The plot divertion towards the end ruined the plot that had been developed quite well. It simply portrayed the rush that the author was in to conclude the book.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Sou Hi wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 22:02 Thanks for your honest review. I dislike books with a messy plot, so this book is not to my taste. Guess I will skip it.
I empathize with your preferences. We all deserve a book that is worth our time. I appreciate your passing by to read and comment.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Generosity and kindness are needed everywhere by everyone. Teaching children these values is crucial in this selfish world.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Miriam Molina wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 20:49 Generosity and kindness are needed everywhere by everyone. Teaching children these values is crucial in this selfish world.
Thanks for the comment🤭
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This seems like a sweet story about someone who is trying to make the world a better place despite the heartbreak of losing a loved one. Once the issues you mentioned are addressed, I believe the story will be even better.

Thank you for your candid review.
😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Wow! What a good heart the fisherman has. He indeed deserves better. And I'm glad that he didn't dwell in grieve rather, choose to show love to the the less privileged. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”