Review by ZRA0415 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ZRA0415
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zra0415.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by ZRA0415 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by ZRA0415 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the Voulhire series. It is a science-fiction/fantasy novel which takes the readers on a journey through the “magnificent and terrifying” Voulhire. The chapters are written through the perspective of various characters, which enables the reader to experience the kingdom of Voulhire through different lenses. Although the journey is experienced through the eyes of different characters, the main journey is through the shoes of Galen Bray as he voyages through Voulhire.

Galen Bray is a young man from the dilapidated Land of the Princes who is granted entry into Voulhire to take over his late uncle's forge. Once he arrives in Voulhire he is awestruck by the majesty of this marvelous land. Before he has time to fully settle into his new estate, he begins a new chapter in his life as he journeys with Rowan— the one who enabled Galen to enter Voulhire. However, what started off as a simple excursion may soon unravel into a long and unexpected journey as events unfold and pieces begin to fall in place.

Voulhire has begun its Golden Age; but are things really as halcyon as they seem? Meldorath— a heinous mage— is rumored to be dead; but is there something King Wilhelm Arcolo is hiding from the citizens of Voulhire? A darkness lurks underneath the gold and steel plated cities of Voulhire, and something is bound to break. It is only a matter of time before chaos is unleashed upon this prospering kingdom.

Matthew Tysz has created a story that is filled with magic and mystery, order and chaos, and unforeseeable occurrences. This book was wonderfully written and contained very few mistakes, which were minuscule and hardly noticeable. Tysz clearly put a lot of time and effort into creating this story. The beginning of the novel contains a reference guide and a map, which gives the reader insight to this large and intricate kingdom of Voulhire, along with a better understanding of the Voulhirian landscape.

I personally found this book very enjoyable, and there was practically nothing I disliked about it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to anyone who enjoys magic and adventure. I do not recommend this book for anyone under the age of 13, as it does contain vulgar language and mentions instances of rape, sex, and pedophilia. I also do not recommend this book for anyone who does not have a strong stomach since there are depictions of gore and battles. If none of those things previously listed are an issue for you, this book is sure to please many fantasy readers and leave you impatiently awaiting the next book in the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”