Review by Elwyn23 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Elwyn23 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque, by author Calix Leigh-Reign, is the first installment in the Scion Saga. With its setting based in the idyllic and fictitious city in the United States, as well as the magic that is meticulously woven into the story, Opaque is an interesting addition to the ever-expanding fantasy genre.

The novel is grounded by its two protagonists--Adam Caspian, a character shrouded in darkness, and Carly Wit, a character that can only be described as the embodiment of light. If you are familiar with fantasy novels, particularly fantasy novels of the young-adult variety you may have already started to speculate that the two antithetical protagonists may be the subjects of a romantic plotline, and you would be correct. The romance in Leigh-Reign’s work often takes centrestage and may even be considered the primary plotline of the novel. Despite romance between protagonists being a cliché of the genre by now, I believe that if the romance is executed well it overshadows the stigma of being a cliché, and the novel definitely does romance well. The author uses the romance to further explore the main characters and thus lead both of them into their character arcs--particularly Adam.

Another highlight of the novel was the execution of Adam’s character. We begin the novel through Adam’s perspective, seeing how his mind works and the what he thinks of the world he inhabits, and to say his perspective is grim would be an understatement. The start of the novel is fueled by Adam’s angst and can make for an especially frustrating read if you don’t enjoy being in the head of a fundamentally flawed character. I personally enjoy having protagonists with major flaws, but I still found myself pausing throughout the beginning of the novel because I needed a break from Adam and his thoughts. I think that the initial characterization of Adam as someone with sociopathic tendencies makes the middle and especially the end, all the more enjoyable to read, as the author provided a satisfying character arc for Adam to go through.

Carly, goes through less of a character arc compared to Adam, but her backstory is the crux of the plot. Due to being a descendent of a powerful Russian family, who had to flee the country due to enemy pursuit, we find out Carly possesses powers, and when Adam discover he too is a descendant of another Russian family which allowed him to possess powers of his own, Carly is the one that helps him explore his ability. Adam is a stranger in this new world of genetic-mutation and special powers that he has found himself in, and Carly is the one who helps him find his way in it, which brings me to another thing that I loved about the book, its portrayal of female character. Aside from Carly adopting the teacher role in the relationship, the author gives depth to the other woman in the story like Adam’s mother who navigates a complex relationship with her son to the best of her abilities, and the general strength that Leigh-Reign writes Carly’s mother with.

The book is stylistically appealing with some beautifully illustrated additions that make the book seem very professional. The professionalism continues throughout the novel with the lack of grammatical errors, indicating the novel went through a strenuous editing phase.

My biggest criticism with the novel is the often confusing switch in point of views. There were times that I had found myself forgetting or not knowing whose perspective I was reading, until I got to a point that provided me with a better clue as to whose point of view I was reading.

Finally, I would rate Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign 3 out of 4 stars. My issue with the book's decision to not have a set point of view and the presence of quite a few clichés prevents me from rating the book a full 4 out of 4 stars. Still, I believe this book will be enjoyed by its target demographic of teens and young adults, who enjoy fantastical stories with a heavily featured romantic subplot.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”