Review by Rukitejevbo02 -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: the Whitney cousins
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris

Review by Rukitejevbo02 -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles, the main character is misguided by her wants. She falls in love with her client--Hower Bain--who is accused of child rape, and elopes with him to Africa, leaving her whole life behind.

Lucy MacMiel, the main character, is ambitious, self-absorbed and distant towards her family, even her sister, Elizabeth MacMiel, who expresses every ounce of affection she has.
Luke Osbourne, an eye doctor who happens to be her father's colleague, gets invited to Lucy's father's party. Lucy and Luke get off to a horrible start at the party. Lucy, at first, dislikes Luke but the reverse is the case for Luke. As Luke prepares to leave, he finds out his car and some others were dismantled during the party. He ends up taking a ride with Lucy who is leaving early too. On the way, they have an accident. Due to that very accident their relationship begins to grow. However, the accident is responsible for a charge of vehicular manslaughter. Lucy, being an intelligent lawyer, gets out of the alleged murder case and finds herself a husband in the process.

After their honeymoon, their marriage slowly begins to fall apart. Only after the marriage does she realize that she isn't ready for the responsibilities of motherhood. When Lucy gives birth, she hires a nanny to do what she is incapable of. Her relationship with her daughter, Jennifer, begins to crumble. Eventually, so does her relationship with her family.

When Jennifer's nanny passes on, Elizabeth and Agnes, Lucy's mom, are tasked with the responsibility of bringing her up. How will things go at Lucy's end?

I love the way the book was written. Over the course of the book, I could not help but admire Elizabeth's character and her continuous display of love towards Lucy. In some scenes in the story, I disliked Lucy's behaviour because it was that of contempt even to those who were trying to help her out, but that did not affect my opinion because I realized it was all part of her character buildup. I loved the way the author alternated the different settings in the story for each chapter.

There were some erotic scenes and instances of profanity. The book was not professionally edited because I noticed a few errors.

I would have given this book a higher rating if not for the errors I observed. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for your interesting review! I am conflicted regarding the book, but I appreciate your presentation.

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

Your summary helped me to understand the title of the book. It appears that Lucy needs to control her wants, which is something that many of us struggle with.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Gomo by Tani Shallari

Post by kandscreeley »

Coles does like his character-driven stories. I like them. One can definitely learn more about humanity through these stories. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Gomo by Tani Shallari

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Marsh by Kevin Carey

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

There's an adage that says "look before you leap" I feel for Lucy. It's obvious that she wasn't ready for marriage and the journey of motherhood. Great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”