Review by Faithmwangi -- Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Faithmwangi -- Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Faithmwangi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Divided World" by Kenneth Pickering.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All the information we have is from what the news tells us. Is this enough? What about the hopes and dreams of the children caught in the crossfire? Divided World, by Kenneth Pickering, delves deeper into the world of those living in the Middle East and the predicaments they face. It contains several dramas written by expert playwrights. These playwrights include; Kate Al Hadid, Hannah Khalil, and Hassan Abdulrazzak. Other than editing the book, Kenneth also writes the introduction.

I have always enjoyed plays, whether written or performed. This read was no different. I appreciated the fact that there was no mincing of words. The reality was said and portrayed as it is. It is difficult to go through the book without getting emotional. Feelings of anger, sadness, and compassion are consistent as one reads on. It becomes evident all the young generation wants is freedom. This was specifically portrayed by Yousef who wanted to leave and compete in Parkour.

The authors used several elements to make the dramas come to life. In the first drama, we see the characters singing and dancing. The use of rhyme made the song more enjoyable. Another useful element was good character development. It was easy to empathize with the characters and understand why they did what they did. At times sarcasm was used which brought a comic effect to this rather serious discussion.

What I enjoyed most about the book is the introduction of playwrights. This happened at the beginning of every drama. It helped in that I got to understand the playwrights and their works better. My dislike for the book happened as I watched the characters suffer. They had no peace in a place they called home.

Generally, I rate the read 4 out of 4 stars. I do not deny it a star because the read was expertly written. When it comes down to it, the suffering dealt with in this book is an ongoing nuisance. Men, women, and children are dying every day for no good reason. Be it, servicemen or civilians, no one is being spared. It begs the question, when will the killing stop? At what point will these lives be spared of the misery they face.

Anyone looking for a weekend read should consider this book as it can be completed within a short time. I recommend it those who love drama, and those interested in what is happening in the Middle East. I would not recommend this read to children because it contains a substantial amount of vulgar words. Additionally, it contains a few adult scenes.

Divided World
View: on Bookshelves
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like that the book delves into the lives of those in the Middle East. Thanks for the informative review.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I agree with the character development element. It was especially noticeable in the play "Jump".
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”