Review by emeraldlaurice012 -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Review by emeraldlaurice012 -- Gringo

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his action-packed adult memoir, Gringo, Dan “Tito” Davis recounts what he experienced as an international fugitive. Betrayed by his partner, Davis had no choice but to leave his life behind. Filled with real-life experiences that seem too bizarre to be true, every page in this memoir will leave you wanting.

Surrounded by poverty for the majority of his childhood, money became an obsession for Davis. As a teenager, he was already making more money than his parents from working as a jockey. It wasn’t enough, and Davis had a one-track mind set on earning more. His road to wealth started when he was introduced to White Crosses by a schoolmate. Life was good for Davis until his greed got the better of him. The choices he made from there led to his eventual conviction and decision to live life on the run.

This was an adventure. The narration was so riveting that I could not put it down. It had my mind racing with anticipation of what will happen next. Mixed with humor, the narrative was done in an intricately detailed way that doesn’t go overboard. Davis’ story seems so unrealistic that I often forget that this is a true story. I recommend this to people who would like to experience life on a run without actually living it.

The author’s honesty in writing this memoir was also admirable. Sharing what was going on in his mind and how he was feeling throughout his experiences in his adventure made this memoir all the more captivating. He went through so much, and it’s a wonder how he is still alive after everything.

The only thing I didn’t like about this book is the crude way Davis refers to the women in his life. It’s degrading, and this way of thinking is not a good example for young readers. Aside from this, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the book. It offers a glimpse into the illegal side of life and also opens the eyes to the situation ex-convicts face when they go back to society. Living in a country with a questionable justice system where innocent people can easily be convicted, it breaks my heart to see what they have to endure after having years of their life stolen from them.

I found no errors while reading this book. Overall, I’m giving this 4 out of 4 stars for the adventure it offers and the captivating way Davis’ story was told.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”