Review by Mukukamm30 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mukukamm30
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Mukukamm30 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Mukukamm30 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, is the second book in We are Voulhire series written by Matthew Tysz. In this book, Galen Bray leaves Magnum Caelum for Virko in search of the much-needed iron for his newly inherited forge belonging to his late uncle. Demetrius and Rowan accompany Galen to the city of Virko in the hope of striking a deal which will ensure a steady supply of iron to the newly acquired forge. In their quest to find a reliable source, they meet the lord of Virko Venden Hrelek. Even though sickness had taken its tow on him, he wished very much for the well-being of the city he helped build from nothing. So, Venden agreed to have Galen's forge supplied with the much-needed iron in return for a favor. He desired that Galen with the help of Demetrius should cleanse the house in which he lived from a demon that was bound in the under croft. He feared that his son would turn the demon into a puppet, and that the city of Virko would be in grave danger. Will Galen and his crew prove equal to this task?

Meanwhile, Meldorath leaves the island of his captivity and sets off straight for the Eiodi's sit in Virko. He challenges the Eiodi to a fight for his sit and just about managed to kill him with the slickest of magic tricks, making him the new Eiodi.

Although the author had written the book in such a way that it could be read as a stand alone, there are many aspects of the storyline that would need to be followed from the first installment to get a clearer picture of what is happening. For instance, the killing of Lord Eldus in hillport and the subsequent looting by the kings sworn enemy, the Riva Rihova, had led to a cut in iron supplies to Galens forge, forcing him to abandon his practice and going to the city of Virko looking for a new iron source. In the first book, there was a biomage not much talked about going by the name of Alabaster. He practiced biomagic and was later found out to be with Meldorath in the second book, he was Meldorath's teacher. His role was not quite clear until he appeared in this book. This sort of shades more light on the kind of character expected from Meldorath because he was initially just been referred to as a mage. The second book actually answers more questions that were left hanging in the first installment. So, I commend the author for doing a good job at this.

What I liked about this book what that it is easy to read, and it's almost like you have traveled to that time and era, and you are in the story. The characters are quite realistic, and you would easily envision them in the different scenarios in the book. The pace of the book is quite fast and absorbing. This book grabs you from the start, and holds on to the very end. Each chapter is clearly titled with the main character's point of view which makes it easier to keep track.

What I liked the least about the book is that even though it was quite absorbing, there were some sections, especially in the beginning that I found to be boring.

Although there are no sexual scenes, the book contains language that some may find to be unpleasant. There was some grammatical errors that I encountered whilst reading the book and can thus assume that it needs to go for further editing. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I have removed a star because of errors.

This is for anyone interested in fiction and fantasy books set in the medieval times. Those who love adventure stories with demons and magic may also find this book very intriguing.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Great review, Mukukamm. I agree with you, although I let some of the errors pass. This book is really interesting -especially with the introduction of Sod and his horde.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

This one was too dark for my liking but the series overall is very engaging :) Thanks for a great review!

azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

This series has a lot of different elements and it's understandable some of them could be boring to people. I'm glad you enjoyed it and liked the characters. Good job on the review!

poojkapadia
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojkapadia.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by poojkapadia »

I read the first two parts of this series a while back. I had almost forgotten about it. Your review made me want to read the next book. Good review. Thanks.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow

Post by Dominik_G »

I haven't read the first book of this series so maybe We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko isn't the best choice for me but I enjoyed reading your detailed review nonetheless. Thank you!
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Princess C and Me by Malcolm R. Martin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

You wrote a very informative, well-written, and thorough review. Great job!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I liked it. I found this part in particular is darker than the rest. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”