Review by Bookworm101520 -- The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Review by Bookworm101520 -- The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by Bookworm101520 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Memoir Man" by Frances Webb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever seen a fascinating stranger at a restaurant and created an entire life story for them inside your head? Have you ever been desperate to explain yourself to a fellow grocery store shopper, only to have them misunderstand your intentions? The Memoir Man by Frances Webb dives deep into the psyche of the human observer. This is a collection of short stories written in the first person. They are character-focused and describe the whirling, swirling thought pattern of someone who is attempting to picture the mindset of another. The stories are written in a way that makes it very easy to place yourself in the role of the narrator and observer.

I would recommend this book for people who love short stories and people who enjoy character-driven stories. I always appreciate a short story collection and found quite a few gems in this one. There are stories and poems in this collection. The variation in length helps to keep the pacing and flow of the book fresh.

The first two stories in this collection were my favorite part of this book. This is not to say that the rest were not fantastic, just that the first two stuck with me long after the final sentences. The title story, The Memoir Man, is an intriguing description of a man that is working on a writing project in a library. A fellow patron notices his schedule and activities and begins to wonder. What is the man working on? What progress is he making? How does he interact with the other library patrons? As this internal dialogue unfolds, you gain insight into the mind and habits of the narrator themselves.

Another standout story in this collection was In a Public Place. The narrator in this story tells a tale of audacity and their own outrage. They wait at a coat check and try desperately to get the attention of the museum visitors around them. They wonder how the other patrons can possibly miss what is right in front of their eyes! I enjoyed this narrator’s voice, which seemed distraught and even a bit unstable as the story unfolds.

My least favorite parts of this book were a few of the poems. One or two of them were interesting or witty, but some of them read like unfinished ideas. I would have liked to see them more fleshed out and maybe turned into short stories themselves.

This book was exceptionally well-edited and I found very few typos. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would not rate it 3 stars because of the excellent editing, the consistent tone of the stories, and the thought put into each selection. In every short story collection, there are going to be stories that you like and stories that you absolutely love. I enjoyed an element in every story included in this collection and found a few that I adored. I think this book would make a great addition to any short story lover’s collection.

The Memoir Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ellylion »

I do appreciate character-driven stories and would definitely check this interesting collection out! Thank you for this excellent review! :)

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

I can picture myself enjoying these kinds of stories. Great review!

Bookworm101520
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

Ellylion wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 13:03
I do appreciate character-driven stories and would definitely check this interesting collection out! Thank you for this excellent review! :)
Thanks for taking the time to read my review!

Bookworm101520

Post by Bookworm101520 »

Drado_27 wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 14:10
I can picture myself enjoying these kinds of stories. Great review!
Thank you! Thanks for reading!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Beyond Paris
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Raccoons Stole My Baby Jesus by Jennifer Doll DVM

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I read the first ten pages of this one and was truly captivated by the author’s ability to make everyday occurrences sound anything but mundane. That eccentric fellow in the library eating eggs amidst his stack of pages?! Such a quirky set of observations seem to be explored in this book. Thank you for sharing your impressions of this one!

MeganDJ
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Winter Wheat by Ronald J. Gerhard

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow! A glimpse into the human psyche. Sounds fascinating! I have to admit I have caught myself developing stories in my head about the people that I observed in the world and it would be awesome to see the authors perspective. Thank you for your wonderful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Sounds like an interesting mix! I may give it a try. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: Stubborn children by Norio Ando

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

I have downloaded this book on my Kindle because I’m really intrigued by the premise of this book. A collection of short stories narrated by a confined observer. I would love to read it sometime. Great review!

Bookworm101520

Post by Bookworm101520 »

AvidBibliophile wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 21:42
I read the first ten pages of this one and was truly captivated by the author’s ability to make everyday occurrences sound anything but mundane. That eccentric fellow in the library eating eggs amidst his stack of pages?! Such a quirky set of observations seem to be explored in this book. Thank you for sharing your impressions of this one!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading my review!

Bookworm101520

Post by Bookworm101520 »

MeganDJ wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 01:28
Wow! A glimpse into the human psyche. Sounds fascinating! I have to admit I have caught myself developing stories in my head about the people that I observed in the world and it would be awesome to see the authors perspective. Thank you for your wonderful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
These stories narrate that experience exceptionally well! Thanks for reading my review.

Bookworm101520

Post by Bookworm101520 »

Letora wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 19:30
Sounds like an interesting mix! I may give it a try. Great review!
It definitely is! Thank you for taking the time to read my review.

Bookworm101520

Post by Bookworm101520 »

lavenderbooks20 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 21:02
I have downloaded this book on my Kindle because I’m really intrigued by the premise of this book. A collection of short stories narrated by a confined observer. I would love to read it sometime. Great review!
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for reading my review.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 619
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Grant Justice by Robert Gregory Fegers
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I am a short story fan myself. I would be happy to check out Webb's collection.

Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Strange but interesting mix of stories. Might give it a try.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”