Review by Haywaya -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haywaya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haywaya.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Haywaya -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Haywaya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first installment in the We Are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz. The novel begins with Galen Bray who after several years of hardship in his wartorn homeland, finally immigrates to the kingdom of Voulhire. On his arrival at Voulhire, however, Galen finds out his uncle who had made it possible for him to flee his homeland, had died and had left him a fortune and a trade as an inheritance. The young Galen is gladdened by this and seeks to both establish himself in the trade and also find a way to repay the land of Voulhire, which had brought him such good fortune. Another new arrival somewhere else, is Lord Eldus Alderman, a newly pronounced Lord of a small community in Voulhire, which has had a fearfully traumatic past. Galen and Lord Eldus soon find out that, their idea of the perfect Voulhire is so far from the reality as there is another new arrival of a darkness ready to shake the powerful kingdom to its knees.

The novel began brilliantly, with its short and concise chapters instantly captivating and interesting. Each chapter was designated to a particular character, and this moved the plot nicely from character to character. Though written in the third-person, chapters dedicated to the protagonists, were written in the first-person, thereby, making them very relatable to the reader.

The novel with its very compelling and interesting storyline is clearly the work of a creative mind. The writing was also very well constructed and had a nice even flow all through.

Though the imagery and descriptions were fairly decent, I felt certain details were left out that could have brought more life to the fantasy genre. Such details include; the dressing styles of the inhabitants of Voulhire, as well as specific physical descriptions of some of the characters.

Also, I felt there were some plot-holes and redacted information in the book, which remained virtually unexplained through out the novel. On thinking about it though, I felt this was intended by the author, to ensure readers picked up the other books in the series, to get properly filled in on those missing details.

Asides all these, it is an amazingly written novel, and if you're a fantasy buff, and just anyone who is looking to start any series of the fantasy genre, I would surely recommended it to you. As I mentioned, many details are left out that would most likely be filled-in in the sequels so for utmost reading satisfaction I'd advice any reader to get the next books in the series. There is some profanity thrown around in the novel, so I would recommend the book for adult readers.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars, as, I saw nothing significant enough to deduct a star for. The novel was also well edited, as, I didn't observe any errors. It was a nice start to a series, and I hope the other novels in the sequel will be just as good.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”