Review by Chivdi -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chivdi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chivdi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Chivdi -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

Post by Chivdi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

WE ARE VOULHIRE: The Flesh Of The Mind by Matthew Tysz is the sixth book in the "WE ARE VOULHIRE" series. The story welcomes you to the ethereal world of Galen. Galen banished the Eiodi from Voulhire but he later regretted his actions. As a result, a light appeared over Yamon Soul and took Galen into the Caromentis where he found himself entangled in 'the flesh of the mind'. All of Galen's adventures play out against the backdrop of tyrannical administration in Voulhire.

I was gripped with a mixture of dislike and adoration for Meldorath. He was somewhat an existential superpower who doubled as a mage. He was monstrous, deadly, determined, authoritative, lonely, and with a killer instinct. He was determined to amplify his success by disregarding the power of imagination in the Caromentis. The descriptions in this book were so detailed that it felt like I was watching it play out on a big screen.

I loved the author's writing style. He concentrated on first-person narration from different characters' perspectives. The author expertly displayed the theme of friendship, especially among Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius. I liked the way the author sometimes granted these three characters liberation and sometimes withheld it. The author uses an intimate, humorous, and playful tone in his writing. This warmly speaks to the reader and creates more interest.

I felt offended when Harper harassed her borrowed chambermaid and went unpunished. I felt like that scene supported the violation of workers' rights. Short of hugging, there was no eroticism in the book, but there was the use of profanity. I would mostly recommend it to readers who are at least 16 years old and would not be easily triggered by the themes mentioned above.

I came across seven minor errors, which leads me to believe that the author took the time to proofread the book. I do not, however, think that the editing was done professionally. With another round of editing, I would give a perfect score, but for now, I am happy to award WE ARE VOULHIRE: The Flesh Of The Mind with 3 out of 4 stars. The main plot of the book, while charming on its own, is augmented by side plots that invite rich and diverse characterization. Thus, making them all rich and thought-provoking. Anyone who loves a blend of imagination, science, and spirituality in a book will find this title very rip-roaring.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Harty Muli »

Reading about the humble Galen in the earlier books in the series, its interesting that he has acquired such powers to the point of having a face off with Meldorath. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

I love that the author continued the bond between Demetrius, Galen and Rowan in this book too. Great review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I am yet to read this piece, but the one I read was very interesting. Thank you for this insightful review.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

I only read the first book in this series, but now I can't wait to read the others, thanks to your review. I'd love to seen how Galen grew from being a naive newbie, who's always impressed by anything.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”