Review by AbhyarnaAman -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Review by AbhyarnaAman -- How To Be Successful

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How To Be Successful, the book written by M. Curtis McCoy is a motivational book that delivers what it promises. Unlike most self-help books, it does not exclusively have the author’s words. This book is in the form of a journal of interviews with various successful people from diverse sectors, whom we can look up to for guidance.

The author was diagnosed with Diabetes at an early age. His mother did not let the disease dominate his life. He grew up with positive thinking and was surrounded by inspiring people. He started building his business in a variety of sectors. He was given 90 days to live, with brain cancer. He chose alternative treatments and survived. He did not stop living his life to its fullest during his sickness. Even when he was given the last three months of his life, he did not stop to fulfill the greater purpose of his life. He was not a naturally gifted person since his childhood so, he worked diligently to achieve his goals.

The book flows in the form of conversations between the author and some successful people. The choice of personalities interviewed is also great as each one of them has come to shine in their fields after a remarkable struggle. Questions that form part of the interview are repeated to each personality. They answer those questions as per their experiences in life. Repetitions of questions may appear monotonous, but if we read the answers given by various successful people, we will realize that there is no particular answer to any question. Reading the diverse answers motivates us to be the best in our way.

One question that interested me the most was – “what character traits do you value most in others?” Many successful people value loyalty the most. In between the interviews, the author has added his advice that may be subjective. This book has tips for both upcoming entrepreneurs and those who have built an empire.

The editing in the book is commendable, as I did not come across a single error even in punctuation. The language used is simple and straight forward. I would rate this book as 4 out of 4 stars. It is a complete package and can answer the needs of people with all kinds of attitudes. One turn down that I noticed was the font in which the book was published. It gave an impression of a draft. Overall, this book is a good read. I strongly recommend this book.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Great review! I am generally not interested in reading self-help books, but after reading your review, I am interested in reading this one sometime! I am going to add it to my should read list on bookshelves! Thanks :)
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

This book was a eye opener for me. I am glad you liked it as well. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I like that this book consists of interviews with various successful people so that it would be easier to find one that a reader can relate with and emulate their ways. Great review! I enjoyed reading it.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

engarl wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 13:14 Great review! I am generally not interested in reading self-help books, but after reading your review, I am interested in reading this one sometime! I am going to add it to my should read list on bookshelves! Thanks :)
Thanks for your words of appreciation. I am happy to know that my review has led you to add this book to your bookshelf. :tiphat:
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

rahilshajahan wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 14:41 This book was a eye opener for me. I am glad you liked it as well. Thanks for an insightful review!
Thanks Rahilshajahan. I also took some useful tips from this book.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 00:06 I like that this book consists of interviews with various successful people so that it would be easier to find one that a reader can relate with and emulate their ways. Great review! I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for encouraging my review. You are right, readers can relate to one or the other interviewee to get the best fitting advice. Apart from these interviews, readers would also be benefitted
from the in-between chapters that the author has added.
By Rob White
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I was almost going to review this book and chose another in the final moment. After reading this review i felt as if i should have read that book also. The way author uses interviews to shed a light into successful people's lives, is a good way to convey success stories. I like how the review makes us wants to read the book. Soon enough I'm going to give this book a try.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I like how the author used the form of interviews to write this book. That way, the reader gets to learn about different people's experiences and ideas, and not only about the author's. Good job on the review!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

aby johnson wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 23:04 I was almost going to review this book and chose another in the final moment. After reading this review i felt as if i should have read that book also. The way author uses interviews to shed a light into successful people's lives, is a good way to convey success stories. I like how the review makes us wants to read the book. Soon enough I'm going to give this book a try.
Thanks Aby for your view on this book. Sure you should give this book a try. There is some take away for everyone.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

azidy wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:12 I like how the author used the form of interviews to write this book. That way, the reader gets to learn about different people's experiences and ideas, and not only about the author's. Good job on the review!
Yes Azidy, the author is smart enough to include opinions of other people as well. The variety of interviewee is also commendable.
By Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”