Review by vee_blanche -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vee_blanche
Favorite Book: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vee-blanche.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Review by vee_blanche -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fi...

Post by vee_blanche »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writers Guide is a nonfiction book about creating fiction stories. This book is a concise, detailed book on what to write, how to write, and when to write. The author, William H. Coles, had presented the book to the aspiring writers easy to digest and follow in their writing. The book is easy to follow since it is divided by chapters and themes that the writers need to understand before delving into writing.

Though the book belongs to nonfiction, I like how the author presented it. It is not like a school textbook; instead, it is like a coffee-table book that you can digest anytime and anytime you can just go along and follow the instructions and realizations that the author illustrates on the page.

Inside the book, there are four things that I like. These are the definitions, examples, summaries, and the whys, like “why literary stories fail.” Every chapter starts with the definitions of literary words. These terms are operationally defined as to what their functions in the story that the writers are creating. As an experienced writer Mr. Cole is, I love using different classic stories in his examples. His examples are diverse from fairy tales-to Shakespeare’s classic and down to the Hamilton, even the superheroes. He delivered many twists, like how a struggling writer sees some writing perspectives by giving compelling examples.

At every chapter’s end, the summaries that the reader, who is also an aspiring fiction writer reading, are powerful takeaways. Summaries lead the reader to endure the book and understand its content more as he moves forward to another chapter. Finally, the last thing I like is the “whys.” This book is practically suggesting the reader why such examples, words, scenes, dialogues, and the like will not work. This idea of including the “whys” is such a genius because it immediately gives the reader to reflect on what to write.

My only issue with this book is that it ended very fast. I want another book from the author that has many writing workshops. Overall, I am rating this book 4 stars out of 4 for this is essential for teachers, teenagers, aspiring writers, and authors to have. With all the emerging books about writing, that all are saying that the best way to write is to write it; but this book is a gem that gives different tips on how and what to write.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”