Review by Bertha Jackson -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Grand Librarian by Dee Rose

Review by Bertha Jackson -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is about Dr. Hiram McDowell, who gets what he wants regardless of how it affects other people. He wanted to be elected President of the Board of Regents of the International College of Surgeons, so he promises another doctor, Michael O’Leary, an executive directorship if he swings seven decisive votes to him. After he becomes President, he gives the directorship to another doctor. His son Billie gets his stepdaughter, Tasha, pregnant and he tells his wife to get her an abortion. His wife, Carole divorces him instead. He starts a foundation hospital to help the poor in Nepal but uses some of the charity funds to finance his mountain climbing in the Himalayas. While climbing, one of his friends get hurt, and he takes his oxygen tank and leaves him to die. These are just a few of the examples of what Hiram does in the book showing no regard for other people. He made many people angry by making them feel inferior when they weren’t. Hiram never thinks anything is his fault because he does so much charity work he deserves the rewards he gets. He never understands how hurtful and belittling his actions are toward his family and colleagues. This is a story about what happens when it all falls apart.

This is an action-packed book that is full of mystery and intrigue involving homosexuality, marital relationships, a mass killing at a school, investigative reporting, assisted suicide, and a prison escape. As Hiram rises and falls in his personal and professional lives, he learns a lot of lessons about his morals and begins to wonder if he was partially responsible for what he had to endure.

I really liked this book because of the morals involved. It made me stop and wonder about some actions that I may have taken in my personal and professional life that may have been harmful to others. Sometimes something that can be insignificant to you can be harmful to others. Definitely, something I am going to start taking note of. There was not anything I disliked about the book because it flowed smoothly and kept my attention the entire time I was reading.

I would recommend this book for anyone who loves a good mystery with a lot of action. The book is easy to understand and has no erotic content and very little profanity. The characters are varied and include the elite, poor, and homeless.

This is a well-written and error-free book. I did not find any grammatical nor typographical errors so believe it to have been professionally edited. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”