Review by Miraphery -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Miraphery -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen and his friends traveled to Virko for business. There they met the Lord of Virko on his sickbed, he asked for their help in getting rid of a demon in his mansion. His son, Folcro seemed to have taken to dark magic. They agreed on the condition that they exchanged services. They embarked on cleansing the house of the demon as one of them was a priest. They had a lot to learn about Folcro and whatever it is he was really planning to do. Could they really get rid of the demon?

Meldorath's plan gradually unfolded as he and his team carefully executed it. Back in Virko, the elite were murdered. Unknown to the residents of Virko, hell was about to be let loose.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book of the "We are Voulhire" series. It is of the fiction/fantasy genre. The 153 paged book is written in the first and third-person narrative. Each chapter has the name of the person discussed as its title.

My favorite part of the book was the scene when Demetrius, Galen's friend tried to get rid of the demon. The events that followed caught me unawares, I'd have shared but it would be a spoiler. I never anticipated it and it was intriguing for me. I was so engaged in the book that after reading the last page I was swiping up for more. I loved that the language used was easy to understand. A map was included at the beginning of the book showing all the towns in Voulhire. It helped me to know the position of a town relative to others.

What I liked least about the book was at the beginning where new characters were introduced. It took me a while to identify each new character and their relationship with other characters. The character development can be better. It really affected my overall enjoyment of the book. Having read the first book in the series, I should not have any glitch catching on to the plot.

The book has instances of non-borderline profanity but no erotic scenes. There were some typos I observed but they weren't much to say it was not professionally edited. As a result of the above, I rate We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko 3 out of 4 stars. The book will appeal to lovers of fiction and fantasy. The themes of magic and the spirit world might interfere with religious beliefs. It is not suitable for children because of the use of profane languages.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”