Review by Fuzaila -- What's Your Favorite Color?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fuzaila
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 170
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Review by Fuzaila -- What's Your Favorite Color?

Post by Fuzaila »

[Following is a volunteer review of "What's Your Favorite Color?" by Amber L Lassiter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s Your Favorite Color? is an illustrated children’s book by Amber L. Lassiter. The book follows the protagonist Amber, who is excited about a particular day at school.

Amber’s teacher is named after the author herself - Mrs. Lassiter. Mrs. Lassiter has asked the students to wear a piece of clothing resembling their favorite color. She asks them to keep their favorite colors a secret. The task of the day is to paint a picture with colors, one of which should be their favorite color. After the students’ paintings have dried, they will be displayed at the end of the day, when everyone will get a chance to reveal their secret favorite colors. Since Amber didn’t bring her colors, she’s forced to borrow from her friends. This leads to them guessing her favorite color, but ultimately, everyone’s guess turns out to be wrong.

This book surprised me. What started as a fun little book made me turn the pages with curiosity by the end. Each page is accompanied by a lovely digital art. The three-dimensional illustrations adds depth to the story, allowing us to clearly visualize it. Each incident in the story is followed by a question related to it, with a blank page for kids to fill up with their answer, like in a workbook. The questions are thoughtful and would encourage kids to think deeply about the characters and the decisions they make. I liked how the story focused on emotions and thoughts. For younger readers, the suspense about Amber’s favorite color will also make them curious to read further, teaching them to differentiate between colors. The follow-up questions would be a great psychological exercise for young readers if practiced properly with supervision.

My favorite aspect of the book was the diversity. The main character Amber is a brown girl with curly hair. Mrs. Lassiter is also shown as a brown woman. The other kids are diverse too - white-blond and Asian. But their heritage isn’t obvious from the character names or the story, only from the illustrations. Either way, it was delightful to see such diverse representation in a children's book.

The only slight misgiving I had was with the writing. The story was easily understandable, but the book was not professionally edited. Some sentences could have been worded better, and I found a few grammatical errors. Due to this reason, I’m compelled to reduce a star rating. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for older kids aged 6-12. This book would be a great way to introduce reading habit among children. Younger kids might require parental assistance to fully grasp the depth of the story.

What's Your Favorite Color?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Nich37
Currently Reading: for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nich37.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Nich37 »

Good review. This sounds like a book I can read and work through with my goddaughter. The three-dimensional illustrations will keep her attention.

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

It sounds like a decent childrens book. Its a pity about the errors though. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”