Review by Kafleeners -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kafleeners
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kafleeners.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Kafleeners -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Kafleeners »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Upon finishing We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, I instantly craved more. This first novel follows the lives of a few characters all paralleled in the same timeline. The intricate story Matthew has created is captivating and enchanting. His novel was perfectly edited and was an easy and quick read. The kingdom of Voulhire is vast and full of magic and a medieval lifestyle combined. Matthew has set the stage for the intricate world and for that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

As I mentioned, I was unable to find a single error throughout this novel, and appears to be thoroughly edited. The novel follows the life changes of Galen, Lord Alderman, King Wilhelm, and Midius of the Mianoran council. Galen, a young man saved from the terrible, war-ridden land of the princes and brought to Voulhire to become the new blacksmith of the town his estranged great uncle lived. Lord Eldus Alderman is the newly appointed lord of a fishing town named Hillport which has been riddled by malevolent predecessors that prayed on the townsfolk. The King rules the prosperous lands of Voulhire and is working tirelessly to share that prosperity throughout his entire kingdom while trying to keep the evil forces of the Riva Rohavi. During all of this turmoil, Midius of the Mianoran council is working to usurp the King to take control. This storyline all takes place in parallel to a world known as Caromentis where magic runs through everything and seeps into the cosmos world and kingdom of Voulhire. This medieval world has Mages and knights working together in the armies of the Kingdom. This novel sets the stage and introduces the main characters for what appears to be an exciting series.

This book had very little for me to complain about because it was thoroughly edited. The only part I did not enjoy is the lack of a time period distinction which left me guessing. I believe those who enjoy the supernatural or mystery novels would love this series from what I have read so far. Overall, I was able to finish this story in a few short days and it kept me interested the entire time. What I liked the most in this book is the discussion of magic and the existence of other realms. The concepts behind the teamwork displayed by people of different power levels. I loved that this book expanded on the realm of mages, knights, and lords and added an underlying plotline that is set to evolve as you read more books and continue in the story.

I gave this book a 4 out of 4 star rating because it is a well thought out beginning to an intricate world. The way the author sets the stage for the beginning of a world where magic and realms will collide, as well as a few paralleled storylines is intriguing. I find myself wanting to know the rest of Galen Bray's origin story, as well as what the evil Meldorath will do. These unfinished ends are why this book will keep the reader engaged with books to come.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, a thrilling story about a powerful Mage running amuck in the kingdom of Voulhire at the same time a dominion of outcasted individuals are planning to overtake the kingdom to make Voulhire suffer the way they have. All of this is taking place while innocent Galen Bray is working to fill his great uncle's footsteps with the help of a monk and the executor of his uncle's estate. I can't wait to see how the evil Mage will be defeated and the way the rest of this story will unfold. Overall, amazingly edited and a thrilling read, I highly recommend it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”