Review by Melissa Breen -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa Breen
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Melissa Breen -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else...

Post by Melissa Breen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this third instalment of the We Are Voulhire series, we return to the renowned city of Voulhire alongside our heroes Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius. We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz is just as adventurous and exciting as the previous books in the series. As this is the third book, this review will contain slight spoilers for the previous entries.

As Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius set off for the capital, the villain of our story, Meldorath, has escaped his magical prison and has become the powerful religious leader, Eiodi. Whoever becomes the Eiodi gains a huge amount of power as well as the trust of the people, making Meldorath more dangerous than ever. As Meldorath’s plans become clearer, the politics of the city begin to change.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4. I felt it deserved a 3 instead of a 4 because there were some pacing issues and at times it was hard to tell which character was talking. The dialogue transitions were messy and there were some syntax issues also.Considering the brief length of this book, I feel that certain dropped plot points and rushed scenes could have been elongated and elaborated on. However, Someone Else’s End deserved more than 2 stars though because it does contain exciting scenes and well-developed characters. It was also perfectly edited, I didn’t notice any mistakes.

What I liked most about this book was that we got a more in-depth exploration of the characters we know and love like Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius. Not only that, but we also get a closer look at some of the lesser-known characters like Nartik as well. What I liked least about this book is that there are so many villains that it is often difficult to keep track of. Along with Meldorath, the heroes must deal with the Ravi army closing in on the city as well as traitors inside the royal halls, not to mention the Emperor of Lullabies. While it is great that the characters are not written as black and white, and the grey areas make for interesting character development, this vagueness combined with the high enemy count made it tricky to know exactly who we are rooting for.

Like its predecessors, this story is not suitable for younger audiences. It gets quite dark at times and there are many instances of bad language. I would not recommend this book for anyone who has not read the previous books as there is no recap or explanation, nor references to the previous books. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work as a standalone story.

Personally, I cannot wait to see what happens next in the We Are Voulhire series. From assassins and lords to demons and magic, there is no shortage of adventure in this exciting third instalment.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”