Review by Rosemary Okoko -- The Sins of a Master Race

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Rosemary Okoko -- The Sins of a Master Race

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sins of a Master Race" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, The Sins of a Master Race, by Matthew Tysz, is book three in the series, The Turn. Two cousins, Aurora and Maron, who survived the turn, find themselves in Anima Mea, the world that is inhabited by a new race. This new race has bodies procreated by the god, King Bolhas. In order to fill these bodies with life, the god, Marat, provides King Bolhas with souls of the people who were killed during the turn. These souls are referred to as the lost souls. Aurora and Maron are forced to live amongst this new race. These cousins are now angels in this new world controlled by Marat, and are referred to as arch-demons. They escape from Marat’s grip hoping to regain their previous lives back.

What I enjoyed the most in this book was the rivalry between Cattleprod and Scholar. Both of them have the ambition to rule the whole world. Occasionally, they are at loggerheads and at other times it is not quite clear what one thinks of the other. When they are expected to fight each other, they do not. When they are expected to work together, they seem ready to tear each other apart.

I did not like that the turn had led to mass destruction of cities. As if this was not enough, battles and loss of lives continue to be witnessed. The destruction of cities that belong to both mortals and gods seem to be the order of the day.

The author of this book must have had it professionally edited. The read was smooth and the story flowed. This book falls in the science-fiction/fantasy genre. The characters are well-fleshed out and are likeable. New characters have been introduced with ease. I enjoyed reading this book of 284 pages which is book three in the series, The Turn. Having not come across any form of errors, I have no option but to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I have no reason to consider giving it a lower rating.

This book is well-suited to adults. Readers who enjoy reading books in the science-fiction/fantasy genre will enjoy this one. This book is punctuated with cussing words that may irritate some readers. Even though several battles are being fought in this book, I did not encounter any gore. I recommend that this book be read after reading book one and two for easy understanding of the story, and to get acquainted with the characters. This book would not make a quick read for those who are looking for one as there is a lot going on with the battles.

The Sins of a Master Race
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”