Review by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When an unclothed fragile Asian woman is swept downstream after slipping from a rock, she has no idea that she would forge an unbreakable bond with her rescuers. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a novel chronicling the experiences of five independent women. Meet Rose, Sophie, Veronica, and Amanda who meet for weekends of camaraderie, fly fishing, leisure, girl talk and wine (not in any particular order). On their first weekend together, they go fly fishing when they hear screams coming from upstream. The cries are from a naked woman, who would become the fifth and newest member of the group, Melody.

Each woman has a strength that helps other members of the group and a story to tell about herself. Each woman narrates her own story and how she interacts with the other women. There is no negativity; only positive energy flowing throughout the book. These women describe the positive impact that fly fishing has had in their lives, the remarkable friendship they’ve developed over the years, and how much each one of them means to one another.

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is narrated in the first-person technique and from the point of view of each main character. As each woman tells her story and how she weathers her storms, the reader can relate, as though he or she is on the journey with them. It rapidly becomes evident that this story is so much more than the sport of fly fishing. Each woman confronts her own set of life's challenges; from Amanda's difficulties in coping with her husband's deployment while raising two small children to Sophie's struggle to find love.

I loved watching how these women cultivated strong, supporting friendships. They completely became a faction of sisters, always ready to lend a hand, a listening ear or a shoulder to lean on.
There was a sufficient sprinkling of romance to discuss, however, nothing graphic. There was some unpleasant use of language in some instances that some might find unsatisfactory, but it was used in dialogue, and hastily that it didn’t detract from the story. I also found only a handful of grammatical errors, which speaks of how professionally this read was edited.

Young readers under sixteen should not read this book as it contains some level of profanity. However, it was wonderfully written and the editing is nearly flawless. It undoubtedly deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to women of all ages who love a good story with several nuggets of wisdom and encouragement thrown into the narrative. I also feel this should be a book read by everyone.
The humorous depiction of life truths would be appreciated by most. I believe that those who are looking for a pick-me-up in a book would like this book as well as those who are interested in fly fishing.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by honesty_pays »

Very nice book that educates readers on importance of friendship. It was shown through some ladies coming to because of their love for fly fishing. Nice review

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Everyday Sexism
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

The relationship between the characters sounds endearing. This is the kind book I would love to read. Thank you for this great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”