Review by kaitlynrobbins -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kaitlynrobbins
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynrobbins.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by kaitlynrobbins -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kaitlynrobbins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I read McDowell by William H. Coles. This is a work of fiction about a surgeon best known for his work in Nepal creating a successful foundation hospital. He is well liked by most, but the people who know him well are less likely to say he is a great father or husband. McDowell starts off as a successful surgeon with the world as his oyster. Although he has achieved a lot he is not a likeable character because of his selfishness and narcissism. Throughout the book, McDowell encounters many obstacles that change him entirely and meets people that help him through some drastic changes in his life. Ultimately, he becomes a better person through all of his terrible experiences.

I am giving McDowell 4 out of 4 stars. At the beginning of the book I immediately disliked the character of McDowell. He is rude, selfish and entitled. He is always thinking everyone should bow down to him and he is only ever thinking of himself. His character is written well though and although I didn’t like how the character acted personally it would make sense that a successful, wealthy surgeon would think so highly of himself. I also didn’t find any instances of typos, it was exceptionally well edited.

The characters are well thought out and well written. I enjoyed learning how all of the characters grow through their experiences and make much needed changes to their lives to become better people. I loved the story and being able to follow around multiple characters to see how they react to situations they are put in.

What I liked most about the book is that it jumped around a bit to the perspective of different characters so you were able to learn what the different characters were doing or feeling during the book. What I disliked most about the book is the book seemed like it was narrated in the same tone and just letting the dialogue show how the characters spoke except when it came to the chapter with Gatemouth Willie Brown. When it comes to the chapter where you meet Willie the narration sounds like an uneducated person talking in the third person point of view. That is the only time that the narration changes like that. It would have been better keeping the narration as the standard way that it was and just showing how Willie speaks within the dialogue.

This would be a great book for any young adult readers that enjoy fiction. There are some erotic scenes and a bit of cursing to be aware of if that is a concern. I would definitely recommend it to young adult readers that like drama.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”