Review by _Bokeh -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by _Bokeh -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by _Bokeh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is nothing short of an excellent read. The author, in his first book in a series of nine books, tells a story of politics, ambition and rivalry in the kingdom of Voulhire. It also captures the interaction of the Cosmos, the physical world, and the magic world, Caromentis, from where powerful mages draw their magic, the greatest gift yet in the land, albeit outlawed by the church.

The novel begins with the story of the Lands of the Princes, where Galen comes from, and his journey to Voulhire where he starts a new life taking up the role of succeeding his recently dead uncle as a blacksmith. As his uncle's executor, Rowen, accustoms him to his new role, the chaos begin to unfold within the plot. King Wilhelm appoints Eldus as lord of Hillport following a series of chilly events. The incumbent lord, Meldorath, a very powerful mage - or so he has made people believe - is rumoured to be alive despite assurance from the king that he is dead. The story climaxes with the underestimated Riva Rohavi, led by Vidius Crodai, attacking the castle of Hillport, killing the lord and his family save for his son who escaped, and leaving the city in siege. It would later emerge that the attack was all part of Meldorath's meticulous plan.

To say that I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. I loved it. The author has a powerful command of language which he employs to give vivid descriptions and give the narration a twist of its own. The storyline is a paradox; so simple yet so complicated, thanks to the author's writing prowess. It is a captivating novel whose suspense build-up is as satisfying as its release.

I did not find anything I disliked about this book. The story was interesting and the language use was impeccable. The book was also well-edited as I did not find any spelling or grammatical errors.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . This is because I enjoyed the book and as mentioned above, the author uses language to come up with an impressive narration and makes it a point to edit the book well. I would recommend this book for a wide range of readers, but I feel lovers of fantasy would like this novel more. The book adopts religion and belief in God and may not be suitable for non-religious people. That said, I cannot wait to finish the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”