Review by Laura Bach -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 847
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by Laura Bach -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by Laura Bach »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos is a children’s book based on an old Persian poem that hopes to light the spark of entrepreneurship in the hearts of children. Besides the poem, the book is filled with beautiful illustrations done by Zachary Cain, meant to give life to the events and the characters.

The reader is the main character of this fable and has the opportunity to fully experience the book. He finds a singing goat that provides him with water and bread, which in the end, through a series of smart exchanges, give the main character something much more valuable.

The author confesses about being personally impacted by this poem. Because of this, he found it fit to share it so that others might learn to thrive in life by seizing the opportunities that come. Children need to understand the simple relation between action and consequence, which is masterfully portrayed here. Every character must receive something they need, while also giving away something equally as valuable. The book also teaches patience, as the first investment is a slow and insecure one. One’s faith is mandatory in this early stage of an investment.

I have to admit that the cover was the main reason I chose this book, but I was also interested in the Persian poem, as I like discovering new cultures. Although the goat and the mountain are the only elements that can make this book foreign to the reader’s eye, a child could be slowly introduced to the culture after reading this book. The singing goat, present both on the cover and in the title, represents life, giving you “lemons”, while also leaving a warning to “plan ahead”. Through my own research, I found out that the Persian culture considered the goat a symbol of protection, which also fits the way it is portrayed in this book. The mountain can be a symbol of courage and perseverance. Explaining these concepts to a child can develop his thinking and his perception of the world.

The art is one of the best I’ve seen in any children’s books. The color combinations are esthetically pleasing for children and adults, inducing a feeling of calmness. The pictures cover the whole page, leaving enough room for the text, which usually has only one sentence, making the page feel spacious.

Although this book is incredibly short, it is rich in lessons, demanding a slow and thoughtful reading. Children tend to analyze every picture, wanting to understand the stories that unfold in front of their eyes, so I’m certain that this book will have the right impact on its intended audience. I could easily imagine myself staying in bed and reading this book to a curious child.

I can safely say that I loved everything about this book. I believe children from 4 to 8 years old could benefit from reading this book, as the pictures and the musicality of the poem can easily keep their interest alive. I don’t think it introduces anything new to adults, so I would only recommend it to kids. Concerning the editing, I give this book the stamp of approval, having found no flaws in it. Therefore, I give The Mountain and The Goat a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq »

I read this book too. it was interesting, and offers a good message for children through vibrant illustrations. thanks for this awesome review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 847
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html

Post by Laura Bach »

Sarah Tariq wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 01:26
I read this book too. it was interesting, and offers a good message for children through vibrant illustrations. thanks for this awesome review!
Thank you, Sarah. I wish I had this book around when I was little.

aaurba
2019 Reading Goal: 48
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

Similar to you, it is the cover that caught my attention. I like how minimalist the writing is so that the readers can focus more on the story's message.
don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”