Review by Cynthia_Oluchi -- The Second American Revolution:

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Review by Cynthia_Oluchi -- The Second American Revolution:

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Second American Revolution:" by Liberty Nation.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A friend of mine once told me that he had a conversation with his colleague over a product he urgently needed. He went online the next few hours to meet something he called a surprise—an advert of the same product targeted at him on one of his social media handles! Another friend met with an old friend at a wedding ceremony, they spoke for a while before they went their different ways. My friend logged into his social media handle only to be greeted with a friend suggestion of this old friend he met. Each time I am told of the powers of algorithms, I shrug it off with the generic “the internet is spying on us.”

In this book, the writers of Liberty Nation are not far from the same opinion. They check the advancement of technology against our privacy and freedom. These include targeted ads, the use of CCTV cameras, the use of search engines, the use of microchips, including something as trivial as the use of smartphones. Liberty Nation is of the opinion that the government uses these media to track the activities of users which rubs off their privacy. The writer finds it very annoying that people do not see anything wrong with trading their privacy for comfort especially when ‘they do not have anything to hide.’

From people's activities online to the use of our modern-day technological devices, our privacy is questioned or so do the writers think. Liberty Nation also believes the government and some politicians work hand in hand with these tech giants in manipulating some national and political affairs. He goes ahead to mention how this was employed in the last presidential election in the United States. There are many such eye-opening assertions that you will be grateful for just by reading this book.

I sincerely want to thank the authors for this wonderful piece. Obviously, this is not a work done in a hurry. Readers could perceive the homework, and the amount of time invested in writing this book. I know this because almost everything mentioned in this book has a valid backup. The authenticity of the information provided here is something to be greatly appreciated.

This book holds great lessons for internet users. First, you get to understand how some of our devices function by tracking our locations and ‘eavesdropping’ on our conversations. Above all, the mention of how we can help ourselves by withholding some of our personal details from these tech giants could be a great step to gain our freedom. There are also some political matters discussed here as they relate to technology and the internet.

I appreciate the author's posture in this issue of technology and its effects. Although some of these devices are used on us—for example, by the Police—without our knowledge or consent, the author admits that it is sometimes for safety purposes. His argument majorly is that consent must be sought, especially when the people's right to private living is tampered with. There is nothing I dislike about this book.

The book is well-structured. It contains different citations from different sources which, as I said earlier, points to research well-done. The introductions to each chapter are powerful. They give readers an idea of what to expect.

I rate The Second American Revolution: Tech Tyranny and Digital Despots by Liberty Nation 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited; I found just a few typographic errors. There is no trace of profanity or sex scenes. I recommend it to all users, and lovers of modern technological devices.

The Second American Revolution:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”