Review by Diana + -- The Devil's Eclipse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana +
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana.html
Latest Review: The Devil's Eclipse by Christopher Williams

Review by Diana + -- The Devil's Eclipse

Post by Diana + »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil's Eclipse" by Christopher Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The Devil's Eclipse" by Christopher Williams is an anthology of strange tales, unnatural beings, and bizarre occurrences as it says on the cover. The author also warns us that this book is not for faint-hearted ones and trust me it does matter. You'll see it a bit later.

Well, the book is a collection of eight completely different stories but united with one thing- it is creepy, monstrous creature that can have different shapes and the key of it is that the monster emerges from the dark and gloomy spaces; then comes a cruel murder or revenge to its victim. The first story tells about a retired admiral of the U.S Navy based in the Nursing Home. You get aware of some episodes of his life and will know his further destiny. The next short story is about a married couple- Marlene and Frank. Marlene is obsessed with Pastor Ross and wanted Frank was following his rules for better family life. They live their ordinal life until something crazy happens. The following story is about three little colored boys, their family, and a white shop owner. The story highlights skin color and there is racism as the owner abuses the boys for their snack robbery. Ultimately, justice will come. The next story tells about a family of a father and a daughter. They fought against infinite invasions of cockroaches in their house and who did know that it may turn out that tragically? Another one also contains racism, as it's about the mockery of a colored boy by a group of his white peers but the ending will happy you. And we have only three stories left! The sixth story tells about a single mum and her son. They were bothered by strange and intimidating sounds from the closet; and one day their torture had finished...The penultimate story is about the long revenge of army soldiers and spiders. And the last is about U.F.O and a beast- woman.

Before you dive into reading, I should say something about profanity, vulgar words, and erotic scenes. Yes, the book contains them; there you find a huge amount of vulgar, swear words. They are literary everywhere. As for profanity, I noticed one o two cases of it, so, that's not too much. And the most controversial part-erotic episodes because you'll face it all the time, on every corner( especially at the beginning ). Of course, there are stories where you won't find them at all, but it's better to be aware of it.

Speaking about mistakes, I can say that there are less than ten spelling, typo, and grammar mistakes, though, I consider the book is not exceptionally well-edited because of those mistakes.

What I liked most is the atmosphere of the whole book. The author used very explicit and juicy words that you simply can't stop picturing everything in your head. What's more, I had empathy for some characters and generally was involved with the things happening on the way. It deserves respect. My most disliked things were erotic scenes; I felt disgusted and wanted it would stop. Seriously, that was too much for me. I would understand and accept it if there were a couple of erotics but sometimes I thought that the author is a teen going through a hormonal phase.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy horrors with insects' invasions, who find it pleasing to read erotic and sexual descriptions and who are don't mind vulgar words because these are all aspects that you'll find in this book. I give "The Devil's Eclipse" by Christopher Williams 2 out 4 stars because it's not for everyone and requires some specific tastes.

To sum up, I'm thankful that I read this book. I gained some use from it!

The Devil's Eclipse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”