Review by Nehal Mitna -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Nehal Mitna -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Nehal Mitna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel. It is the first book written by Tysz, in the "We are Voulhire", nine book series, where the story of Galen Bray begins. This edition of the book introduces the characters. The theme of mysticism and magic will keep the readers hooked.

The novel tells the story of Galen Bray. He is a young man born in Land of Princes where all he witnesses during his childhood is rampant violence and war. Destiny gives him a break and he finds himself as an heir of a legacy which helps him escape the Land of Princes. He gets a chance to start a new life in the Kingdom of Voulhire, in the town of Magnum Caelum. Voulhire was a land of promising future for hard working people with plenty opportunities to escape poverty and build a prosperous life for everyone. The land had seen some of the greatest wizards and warriors from time immemorial. There is good and evil where ever you go in this world, same was the case with Voulhire too. They were always on edge protecting their land from the violent insurgents, the Riva Rohavi.

Voulhire is ruled by King Wilhelm, he is the beloved king of the land and there is joy and festivities happening in the land. At the same time, there is conflict between the monarch of Voulhire, King Wilhelm and Midius Maido, the First Knight of Voulhire. There is lot of politics happening and Midius makes sure that he makes the evening interesting by putting the king in a tough spot whenever he can through his banter. There is a lot of questions among people regarding the death of Meldorath - a mage with supreme magical powers. Most wonder if he is dead or alive, so was his wrath and power. Then there is Lord Orlin who was a paedophile and was brought down by Meldorath.

I particularly like the way the writer describes the emotions of Galen when he reaches Magnum Caelum. Its like looking at the world through the eyes of a small child and how he is amused by the littlest things in nature and people around him. It is a bit hard though, to imagine, that a lad of 28 years of age to be sm o naive. Galen was lucky to have been bequeathed a forge by his late uncle, Galen Onita. Rowan, the executor of Onitas' will, helps Galen start as a balcksmith. Magnum Caelum has a neighboring town called Hillport. It has been under constant attacks. The king sends Lord Eldus Alderman to reorganise the peace and prosperity which suffered in the hands of his predecessors, Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath.

The story is told in both, first-person and third-person narrative style. The book was professionally edited. I could not find even a single error. The book involves mild sexual references. I did not find any profanity in this book . However, there is violence and murder scenes, so I would recommend faint hearted people to not read this book. There were no extreme graphic scenes to say it's not suitable for young teenagers. There is nothing I disliked about this book. I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies a well deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Though I felt the sentences did not flow freely in many places, it was well-written and the characters are interesting and well developed. I felt the next installments in this series are going to be even more engaging and surprising, thanks to the exceptional description and explanations of the setting. It makes it interesting for the reader to follow the story and look forward to the new adventures and scenes that might unfold. I recommend it to fantasy novel lovers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I liked it, so I agree with your assessment. I hope I can find the time to read its sequels soon. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I have already read this book, and indeed, the book's mysticism and magic are one of the things that got me glued into its pages.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I am fond of Tysz's dystopian novels but I thought his branching out into fantasy was quite well done. Your review is very detailed, I enjoyed reading it and recalling the book
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Is Galen really 28 years old? He came across much younger to me when I read this book, haha! I totally agree that the author wrote his emotions superbly well though! That's one of the things that has stuck wth me about this book. Thanks for this insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

It’s a wonderful series but I think there are six books in the series and not nine.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Viczboy16 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 02:04 It’s a wonderful series but I think there are six books in the series and not nine.
There are only six books available in this website, but the author mentioned that there were going to be nine books in the series.

Thanks for a detailed review btw.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

NDeMeer wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 08:22 Is Galen really 28 years old? He came across much younger to me when I read this book, haha! I totally agree that the author wrote his emotions superbly well though! That's one of the things that has stuck wth me about this book. Thanks for this insightful review!
Oh, so I am not alone :D. Actually, when I first read Galen's part, I also thought this book was for teenagers. When he said that the war between the princes had been going for 20 years, I had to double-check and make sure I got it correct.

And thanks for your nice review, Nehal.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have read this book too, and I agree with plenty of your points. Indeed, the author did a wonderful job with the writing. Great review!
Nehal Mitna
Currently Reading:

Post by Nehal Mitna »

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 08:12 I read this novel and I liked it, so I agree with your assessment. I hope I can find the time to read its sequels soon. Thank you for your great review!
I hope to read the sequels too. My current book is quite engaging. Am sure it will be hard to put it down hence I will finish it soon :) Thankyou for reading my review!
Nehal Mitna
Currently Reading:

Post by Nehal Mitna »

aaurba wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 04:57 I have already read this book, and indeed, the book's mysticism and magic are one of the things that got me glued into its pages.
I agree. Some descriptions were so vivid. I felt like I was there.
Nehal Mitna
Currently Reading:

Post by Nehal Mitna »

thaservices1 wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 13:10 I am fond of Tysz's dystopian novels but I thought his branching out into fantasy was quite well done. Your review is very detailed, I enjoyed reading it and recalling the book
Thank you for taking the time to read my review!
Nehal Mitna
Currently Reading:

Post by Nehal Mitna »

NDeMeer wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 08:22 Is Galen really 28 years old? He came across much younger to me when I read this book, haha! I totally agree that the author wrote his emotions superbly well though! That's one of the things that has stuck wth me about this book. Thanks for this insightful review!
Thank-you for the appreciation!
Nehal Mitna
Currently Reading:

Post by Nehal Mitna »

rahilshajahan wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 02:15
Viczboy16 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 02:04 It’s a wonderful series but I think there are six books in the series and not nine.
There are only six books available in this website, but the author mentioned that there were going to be nine books in the series.

Thanks for a detailed review btw.
Thank-you for stopping by!
Nehal Mitna
Currently Reading:

Post by Nehal Mitna »

Sou Hi wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 22:03
Oh, so I am not alone :D. Actually, when I first read Galen's part, I also thought this book was for teenagers. When he said that the war between the princes had been going for 20 years, I had to double-check and make sure I got it correct.

And thanks for your nice review, Nehal.
I really enjoyed reading the way Galen finds everything so mesmerizing. Thanks for stopping by and appreciating my review! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”