Review by enna_idEsrun -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
enna_idEsrun
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enna-idesrun.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by enna_idEsrun -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by enna_idEsrun »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles' Guardian of Deceit is a tasty cocktail of passion, intrigue and murder. In this gripping suspense, Coles explores the notion that greed imprisons the greedy and demonstrates this truth in the paralleled lives of the two main characters - Darwin our protagonist and his cousin-guardian Luther. As a teen Darwin's life's goal was to follow in the footsteps of his deceased father and become a medical doctor. But no sooner had he arrived to live with his wealthy, football star cousin than Darwin realized that his new guardian had no interest whatsoever in his life or his future. Later on when a much older Darwin finds himself a millionaire sensation, after his Scrabble App invention takes off, will he remain true to his upbringing or will he opt to follow in the path that his unscrupulous uncle had blazed before him? It is around this suspenseful core that Coles meticulously weaves his plot and interconnected subplots in this novel.

This book is a page-turner. The themes revolve around suspense, mystery and drama. The author's style of writing is captivating and the short chapters add a seamless quality to the book's structure and flow. The tone of the book is light from beginning to end which adds to the reader's overall reading experience. Moreover, the novel boasts an array of diverse and enjoyable characters. I loved Granny who Coles initially portrays as eccentric and wily but later we discover her character to be lovely, wise and strong.

I was impressed that the book spoke to relatable issues such as the importance of the family unit, marriage and morality. I most love that the author demonstrated that having the most amount of wealth and prestige does not guarantee happiness but that happiness comes from within.

The book appears to have been professionally edited, the two errors I came across might easily have been overlooked. There is profanity and at least two erotic scenes in the book, thereby making it unsuitable for a younger audience. Further, I encountered a couple cases where events and discussions were left unsettled in my mind. Although the cases were not all significant, they did cause me some confusion.

I rate Guardian of Deceit a four out of four stars not only because it was an impeccably written novel but because the lessons that Coles reinforces were deep and insightful. Coles' handling of this drama was brilliant; persons who enjoy suspense and mystery will find this book an enjoyable read.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”