Review by Josep22 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Josep22 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Josep22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book took me back to January 2017 when I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones. It carries the promise and excitement similar to that of that first episode. I am a big fan of Game of Thrones and making this comparison is the greatest compliment I could give this work of fiction. Matthew Tysz tells the story of the magical and mythical land of Voulhire in his book, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies.

It is a tale of Galen Bray, a little known poor boy from the war-torn lands of Princes. His life takes a complete turn for good when he travels to Voulhire. He goes on this journey in response to a call by his uncle, who actually dies before meeting him. With the help of Rowan, his uncle's executor, he inherits his uncle's property and starts a new life in this friendly kingdom. His specific place of residence is Magnum Caelum. However, life in Voulhire isn't as smooth as he would have anticipated. Politics of power struggle run deep in this kingdom. King Wilhen, the king in Voulhire has to fight off several people who are opposing his rule. He tries his best to hold it together but will he succeed? You also definitely want to know how they faired against the tricks and magic from the mages of Caromentis the magical land.

I absolutely loved reading this book and couldn't stop flipping the pages. I loved the plot and flow of the story. The characters were perfectly introduced and very nicely built-up. I also thought it was great that Matthew chose to discuss each character in a separate segment. This not only ensured the descriptions were detailed but also helped a great deal in clearing the confusion that comes with numerous characters.

My favorite character has to be Galen. This is primarily because the story was written from his perspective but there is more to is. Galen was a simple and poor victim of poor leadership at first but really grows into his new humble and kind disposition. I actually found him so relatable.

Matthew knows his way around words. This was so evident from the vivid descriptions he made in this book. I loved how he depicted the scenes, objects, and places in the book. I can actually still picture Galen's new house in my head. I really enjoyed this part of his writing. I also found it amazing that he managed to do this while still keeping his language simple and easy to comprehend.

One of the things I loved about Game of Thrones was its slow build-up. The writers were not in a hurry to reveal everything in their lists. The same applies to this story. The author knows he needs to keep us engaged throughout the series and is therefore in no hurry to give everything to us. I actually feel like I still haven't had enough of Voulhire. I couldn't point out a thing I disliked about this book.

I give this book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The story is captivating and interesting. The editing was professionally done as I didn't notice any errors. There was infrequent use of profanity which didn't stop me from enjoying the book. I'd recommend this book to all lovers of fantasy and all those interested in amazing adventures into the ancient world of magic.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

It seems like you have truly enjoyed the book. Thanks for the great and informative review! :tiphat:

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Cuckoo Unleashed
Bookshelf Size: 1840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Lunastella »

I love how enthusiastic your review is! Even though I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, I always enjoy reading reviews like yours. And if it's as enticing as Game of Thrones, I'm sure this series will be a huge success :D .

Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Lunastella wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 10:59
I love how enthusiastic your review is! Even though I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, I always enjoy reading reviews like yours. And if it's as enticing as Game of Thrones, I'm sure this series will be a huge success :D .
Thank you for your kind words Lunastella.

Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Erandi Ekanayake wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 07:15
It seems like you have truly enjoyed the book. Thanks for the great and informative review! :tiphat:
Thanks for passing by, Erandi.

NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have read and reviewed this book too, and I agree that the world building is absolutely fantastic. Galen's new house is specifically well-described, as you say. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

NDeMeer wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 02:12
I have read and reviewed this book too, and I agree that the world building is absolutely fantastic. Galen's new house is specifically well-described, as you say. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Thank you for your comment NDeMeer.

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Everyday Sexism
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

Your review is very informative and precise. Game of Thrones has one of the best premise for a show. If this can be compared to GoT then I’m sure this series will be great!

xsquare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html

Post by xsquare »

My favourite part of the book were the vivid descriptions as well. Thanks for the great review!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Arms Deals by Caleb Stewart Rossiter

Post by Adanna Inya »

This book can be taken for a subtle version of GOT. I enjoyed reading it. Beautiful review.

Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

lavenderbooks20 wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 04:35
Your review is very informative and precise. Game of Thrones has one of the best premise for a show. If this can be compared to GoT then I’m sure this series will be great!
Thanks for your comments Lavender

Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

xsquare wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 05:20
My favourite part of the book were the vivid descriptions as well. Thanks for the great review!
xsquare, thanks for passing by.

Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Adanna Inya wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 10:25
This book can be taken for a subtle version of GOT. I enjoyed reading it. Beautiful review.
Thanks for your comment Adanna

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Son I Knew Too Late by Sally Raymond

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of Galen. The author has done a good job when he has you thinking about the characters after you have finished the book. This might make a good television series. Great review!

Miks_solon
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I don't enjoy these kinds of genres but your review made me consider it. Thanks.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”