Review by shish_by_design -- We are Voulhire: The Fires ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by shish_by_design -- We are Voulhire: The Fires ...

Post by shish_by_design »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second installment in the We are Voulhire series and, this time we are taken to the industrial city of Virko. Virko is the heart of the Voulhirian economy and its founder, the great Lord Venden, is on his deathbed. As his last act of kindness, Lord Venden requests the king on behalf of the Virken people to allow the system of government in Virko to shift towards capitalism. Although the majority of Virko supports this cause, there are a few others with much to lose who are not quite as supportive.

Our protagonist, Galen Bray- the humble immigrant from the war-torn country called the Lands of the Princes- finds himself in a position to repay the generosity of his new home by helping them in their time of need. Upon the request from the mayor of his new home-town, Magnum Caelum, Galen, and his new friends, Rowan the financier, and Demetrius the monk embark on a journey to Virko, arriving just in time to witness the chaos that befalls this great Voulhirian city.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko comprises of a judicious blend of politics, religion, supernatural powers, and a touch of romance. Similar to the first book, this second installment started off quite dull before it picked up momentum. However, unlike the first one, this book delivered a much darker theme with philosophical points. What I liked most about this book was how it investigates existential questions and issues. The language used is quite rich resulting in a wonderful, densely-detailed, imaginative story with epic characters. What I disliked the most in this sequel, however, was the slow start. There were some sections that I felt were dragged out with too many details that could have been kept to a minimum.

With that said, I rate We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz 3 out of 4 stars. Author Matthew Tysz beautifully captures a tale of adventure, turmoil, and transformation, resulting in an epic novel that will set your heart on fire. This is an epic story set to remind the reader that they possess the power to change the world. I would have given it 4 stars had it not been for the slow start. I also spotted a few grammatical errors, however, they did not interfere greatly with the flow of the story.

I would recommend this book to anyone aged 18 years and above due to the occasional vulgar language and minor erotic description used in the book. Also, anyone triggered by rape-related content should beware as this subject is touched upon. I would strongly recommend this book to fans of science fiction. Interested readers should also be advised that this is not a stand-alone book.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Lighthouse in the Mist by Heather Graham, Loretta Scutchings, and Diana Van Geffen

Post by Ellylion »

The second book is the darkest of the series so far, and I agree with you about the slow start. Thanks for this insightful review!
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 The second book is the darkest of the series so far, and I agree with you about the slow start. Thanks for this insightful review!
Well said. The depths the author went to were really deep and he tried to cover many human vices as possible. You're welcome.
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

The author of this series seems to have some unique kind of creativity. Great review!
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

The author continues to explore dark themes in the sequels. He gets better at character development. Very insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”