Review by tjportugal -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Beren and Lúthien
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by tjportugal -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a ...

Post by tjportugal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yet again, Inca, a Siberian detective cat, and his detective company (Inca & Company) travel to a foreign country where they have another adventure. After arriving in Sri Lanka, they learn that a precious sword has been stolen from the Colombo Museum. Apparently, two men dressed as police officers managed to neutralize the security guard at the museum. Will Inca and his friends be able to solve the mystery of the identity of the thieves? Will the Company be able to find the stolen sword and return it to the museum?

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat, by R. F. Kristi, is a contemporary fable that follows a group of friendly pets in their adventure in Sri Lanka. The plot includes action and peace, courage and friendship. It is also not without a touch of thrill.

Through a friendly plot, the author approaches enriching topics such as the sense of family bond and teamwork. As expected, the narrative is rich in features of Sri Lanka, such as indigenous animals, which is a major positive aspect. This element of an exotic culture is uncommon in international children’s literature, rendering the book all the more interesting. Not only does it contain exotic cultural elements but it also presents children with the concept of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

As for the structure, this book is professionally edited. Apart from a subheading that did not follow the pattern of all the subheadings in this book, I did not find any errors. The range of vocabulary diversity is adequate for children. Moreover, there are explicit onomatopoeias and other funny words that children will be delighted with, like “HUUUGE elephants”. This was the element that I liked most, as it combines attractive rhetoric with a strong stimulus, promoting a robust children’s vocabulary and linguistic development.

Another major positive element of this book is the fact that it is structured as a diary. This promotes daily reading habits for kids or parents reading to their children, as each chapter corresponds to a day, for a total of 8 days plus introduction.

Jorge Valle’s illustrations give this book the final touch of excellence. They are colorful and simple, and come every couple of pages. They aid children’s imaginary skills, especially when it comes to culture-specific elements like the stolen sword.

In conclusion, Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat, by R. F. Kristi, is an exciting children’s story. There was nothing I disliked in this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This rating reflects my appreciation for the content and the way it was structured to deliver this excellent work of literature.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat seems to be more appealing to children aged 4 to 10. Moreover, considering that it is part of The Inca Cat Detective Series, it can be a very good way to start kids’ personal libraries and help them engage with literature and reading habits.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

This looks like such a cute little story. I love the idea of writing it in diary-style, with a section for every day! Thank you for this insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

tjportugal

Post by tjportugal »

NDeMeer wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2020, 11:42
This looks like such a cute little story. I love the idea of writing it in diary-style, with a section for every day! Thank you for this insightful review!
Hi @NDeMeer
This is a lovely story. I think kids will enjoy it. The diary-structure is indeed a major plus.
Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Sofie at Dance by Suzan Johnson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

Great Review. I see that you also reviewed another book in this series. Did you have a favorite?

tjportugal

Post by tjportugal »

diana lowery wrote: ↑
29 Aug 2020, 09:12
Great Review. I see that you also reviewed another book in this series. Did you have a favorite?
Hi
Yes, I did review "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula". I have to say that I preferred the Korean book. I found the exotic cultural elements more attractive.
Thank you for your comment.

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read one of the books of this series and I liked it. So I think I might like this as well. Thanks for your wonderful review!

tjportugal

Post by tjportugal »

Honest-reviewer wrote: ↑
29 Aug 2020, 15:20
I’ve read one of the books of this series and I liked it. So I think I might like this as well. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Hi
I liked reading a second book in this series. I liked to see how the writing style was the same although the story changed.
Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”