Review by JGretz-7 -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by JGretz-7 -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

Post by JGretz-7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide by Gustavo Kinrys, M.D. and Alexandra Gold, M.A., truly is a very practical book. The sheer volume of useful information will make this a book that you will want to keep handy and refer back to frequently.

Kinrys and Gold walk the reader through detailed descriptions of how anxiety and stress present themselves. Insomnia is often associated with both. The authors continue by offering numerous options to alleviate the causes. The pros and cons are presented for pharmaceutical options, nutrient-based remedies, herbal, natural, and other alternative treatments. The authors also provide handy tables at the back of the book to summarize the basic information. They’ve also included a grocery list of foods that are helpful in providing the appropriate nutrients to reduce stress levels.

One quote in particular resonates strongly with me. "Most of the general anxiety that millions of us experience is caused by poor choices in what we choose to focus on, what we give our attention to, who and what we issue our power to, and how we view ourselves" (p. 108). I have found myself referring back to this when I get frustrated by reminding myself that I have the power to control how I respond. The breathing exercises described in the book are helpful during times like this as it allows me to center myself again and consciously make better decisions about how I choose to react.

I found the book to be very helpful in understanding what the symptoms of anxiety and stress look like. I teach elementary school and social-emotional health is a huge focus. People cannot learn when they are upset or anxious. Kinrys and Gold's clear explanations will assist me in helping my students recognize their physiological responses so that we can work together to find ways for them to reduce their anxiety symptoms and self-soothe. It's a game-changer to be able to give people the power to help themselves. My least favorite part of the book was a section where the authors discussed valerian root and contradicted themselves. They initially claimed that you need to use it regularly for the full effect and then later say, “It is definitely an herb you do not want to take on a regular basis” (p. 65).

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide deserves four out of four stars for the wealth of knowledge that was easily understandable. The text appears to be professionally edited. I would recommend this book to anyone who is seeking assistance with anxiety or stress. However, due to the scientific nature of the book with a rich vocabulary, it is more likely to be understood by teenagers on up.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by shravsi »

Great review. The quote you picked resonates with me too. I'll remember this next time I feel lost. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”