Review by LuciusM -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by LuciusM -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by LuciusM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mountain and The Goat is a children’s book authored by Siamak Taghaddos. Like a fairy tale, it is in the form of a simple song or a poem. This piece is short that children can read it in one sitting depending on their age. In this short story, a child runs to the mountain where he/she sees a goat. The goat gives the child some water and bread but reminds the child to do as he/she wishes but plan.

The story will put a young reader into a dilemma of what they would do if they were the child. Basing on the qualities of a good children’s book, The Mountain and The Goat is a must-read for most children. It will be interesting since it contains a relatable story that children will like reading bearing in mind that children have a short concentration span.

The choice to include animal characters such as the goat makes the book captivating as children enjoy such. Finally, there is a moral lesson in the story. People should plan what they do and work together harmoniously.

In contrast, there are a few issues that I felt could be done to make this book better. First, the author did not indicate the gender of the child who is narrating the story. Although he might have intentionally omitted to make any reader see themselves as the superheroes in the story, it may leave some with the question. Second, I did not see the narrator in the illustrations used in the book, despite being the protagonist playing a vital role.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not encounter any error nor use of profane language. The language is simple that suits young readers. I recommend this book to parents and teachers for their children.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

The book seems fine to be read by young readers seeing that it has a moral lesson. Great review LuciusM.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Expedition Love by Kimberly Cortes

Post by Elvis Best »

This little book was a fun book for me. Thanks for your honest review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Wycliffe32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wycliffe32.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Wycliffe32 »

The book sounds interesting from your review, will add it to my must read shelf too. Good review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This is a beautiful review and the book is thought provoking.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

Nice review. I agree with your rating. Perhaps the author could have included a protagonist either female or male because I think children rather prefer to have a hero or character they can relate to.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

Having read this book myself I agree with your points about the animal characters and the moral lesson. Thanks for the great review!
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is a nice children’s book. But I think the author could have included something more in this. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your review. Good job!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

In contrast, there are a few issues that I felt could be done to make this book better. First, the author did not indicate the gender of the child who is narrating the story. Although he might have intentionally omitted to make any reader see themselves as the superheroes in the story, it may leave some with the question. Second, I did not see the narrator in the illustrations used in the book, despite being the protagonist playing a vital role.
Thanks for scrutinizing the book really well. I have read this book already, and I think it's perfect. Those ambiguities may be intended to suit its context. In my own perspective, the main idea was about managing resources and giving; which I think it was fulfilled and focused. Nonetheless, you have written a detailed review. Nice job!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
EudoraMac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by EudoraMac »

If a child can learn harmony and team work from a young age, it makes for a more fulfilling adulthood. I'm sure this book can teach a child to get started on these virtues.

Thank You for this insightful review
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by khaulah »

I liked that the author didn't specify the gender of the narrator, leaving it to the reader to imagine themselves.Thanks for your review!
Ciru_phoebe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciru-phoebe.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Ciru_phoebe »

The fact that the book uses animal characters enables the author to connect with children. The moral lesson is delivered much better with such a story. The mention of the simple language used makes it easy to understand for the young readers. Good review mr.
Ciru_phoebe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciru-phoebe.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Ciru_phoebe »

The fact that the book uses animal characters, enables the author to connect with children. The moral lesson is delivered much better with such a story. The mention of the simple language used makes it easy to understand for the young readers. Good review mr.
JULIUSYEGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by JULIUSYEGO »

The simple language used suits young readers . I like the moral lesson too. A nice review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by khaulah »

Indeed the book is suited for children. It's capable of holding their attention because of the short story and use of animal characters. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”