Review by ritah -- The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Li...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
2018 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Review by ritah -- The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Li...

Post by ritah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..." by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Former New York top model, Harriet Tinka, experienced one of her darkest days when she was kidnapped, stabbed, and left for dead. How did her life end up like this? After receiving a soul-crushing diagnosis, Dr. Lycka was told that he only had six months left to live. In this book, the authors share their trials and tribulations, and how they overcame the pain, hurt, and negativity that life dealt them.

The Secrets to Living a Fantastic Life: Two Survivors Reveal the 13 Golden Pearls They’ve Discovered by Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka is a non-fiction book aimed at encouraging, inspiring, and motivating anyone going through a tough time. The book offers great advice on how to get back up and face life’s challenges head-on.

The “thirteen golden pearls” discussed in the book offer gems of wisdom that readers can cultivate and apply to their lives. These pearls of wisdom—as I like to call them—will arm readers with the tools to better handle difficult situations in life.
One of my favorite aspects of this book was the anecdotal stories shared after every introduction of each golden pearl. Some of these stories were heartwarming, while others served to enlighten, encourage, and motivate. One story, in particular, made me feel as though there was nothing that couldn’t be overcome as long as you’re still breathing and willing to keep going. Though all the stories had a lesson and offered value, my favorites included The Shoe Box, The Story of Seabiscuit, and The Man Who Was A Failure.

The first chapter was quite interesting as it discussed themes I didn’t expect. The authors shared the Greek definition of “love”, as well as the different types of love. In my opinion, understanding some of the different types of love out there can offer greater insight into the relationships we have with others. I also enjoyed the thought-provoking quotes found throughout the book.

Though the book is well-written, the dialogues between the authors sometimes grew monotonous. From my experience, this stylistic choice isn’t easy to pull off and not everyone is going to enjoy it. At times, the dialogues became flat and predictable. In addition, the humor was sometimes dry, while other times it flew right over my head.

All in all, the book appeared to be professionally edited and is well worth reading, so much so that I wished that it had been published a few years ago. I cannot recommend it enough to those facing any hardships and anyone who has ever experienced trauma. All things considered, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is the first book in an intended series, and I look forward to uncovering more of the golden pearls that will be offered in the second.

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nkoo
Currently Reading: Weirdo 2.0
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Nkoo »

I also enjoyed reading the stories shared by the authors after each introduction of the golden pearls. I found the book inspiring too. Thanks for your insights and an honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”