Review by Star_and_Buck -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Review by Star_and_Buck -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Star_and_Buck »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann is a novel based on reincarnation. It is a story of a woman named Amanda who believes that everyone she loves will be parted from her. Amanda lost so many people she loved including her parents and her boyfriend, which made her vow that she will never try to come close to anyone again.

The story begins with Amanda saving Mark Patrick Callahan, a cop, from a train accident who instantly falls in love with her. Amanda thinks that she knows Mark from her past life. This belief turns even stronger when she buys an antique clock from the 18th century. Amanda lives with Mary, her grandmother and a psychiatrist, and her brother. Read on to see if Mark can survive through Amanda's rejections to prove that their true love will never die and she will be loved as once she was.

The plot of the story was quite simple and fascinating and the character development throughout the book was exceptionally well. The idea of past lives was very interesting to me. The thing that I like the most about the book was the way in which the historical parts were described. The description of the American Civil War and the Chicago fire felt like I was the spectator of these events. This suspenseful story was engaging and tied me up from the beginning (even though I couldn't finish it in one read) till the end. Not only this, but the cats were also a part of reincarnation.

I didn't like the constant italicized thoughts of the characters. Also, I expected that Mary and Ed Morgan (owner of the shop from which Amanda bought the antique clock) will play a big role in the story but it was not the case. Except this, there was nothing that I did not like about the book. There were no typographical errors and grammatical mistakes in the book. Sex happens in the book but not directly on the page. The author avoids describing the actual scene on the page.

I rate this book 4 stars out of 4. The above-mentioned flaws were too small for me to dislike the book. Although the book is a work of fiction, it seems like it is a true story due to the introduction of historical events. Yesterday is a book worth reading. I would recommend this book to those who love to read historical romance novels and books on reincarnation.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

This sounds like an interesting book with a pretty interesting title. Reincarnation is a fascinating topic and one which immediately grabs a readers attention. Thank you for a great review!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Manali_DC wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 13:23 This sounds like an interesting book with a pretty interesting title. Reincarnation is a fascinating topic and one which immediately grabs a readers attention. Thank you for a great review!
It is indeed an interesting book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Sounds like an interesting setup although I do not believe in reincarnation. Since it is a work of fiction I could give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not into romance, but those two lives so intertwined and immerse into historical events are fascinating. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 04:52 Sounds like an interesting setup although I do not believe in reincarnation. Since it is a work of fiction I could give it a try. Thanks for the review!
This is an excellent work of fiction.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:

Post by Star_and_Buck »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 08:29 I'm not into romance, but those two lives so intertwined and immerse into historical events are fascinating. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Amanda's story sounds really emotional. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Elvis Best wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 17:29 Amanda's story sounds really emotional. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
Thank you.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

A book centered around reincarnation and past lives? Yes please :) I have always been a fan of that theory, and I look forward to reading more about it in this fictional tale. Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Wow! Reincarnation sounds really fascinating. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your brilliant review.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I'm don't believe in reincarnation but I'd be interested in discovering how the author developed on the idea. Great review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Having read your review, I'm sure this book is very interesting. The cover screams "pick me up". I commend the author for executing this one successfully. Great review!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:

Post by Star_and_Buck »

MeganDJ wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 00:04 A book centered around reincarnation and past lives? Yes please :) I have always been a fan of that theory, and I look forward to reading more about it in this fictional tale. Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Do give it a try I am sure you will love it.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:

Post by Star_and_Buck »

:liar:
Honest-reviewer wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 06:03 Wow! Reincarnation sounds really fascinating. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your brilliant review.
Thanks for ur comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”