Review by Laila_Hashem -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Laila_Hashem -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by Laila_Hashem »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi describes the adventures Inca, a Siberian cat, and her friends and family have when an important will mysteriously goes missing and one of their owners disappears while climbing the Himalayas. It begins with one of Inca’s friends, Terrance, and his owner, who is a detective, leaving London and going to the Himalayas with the goal of bringing back the missing owner. Meanwhile, Inca and her siblings invite their friends Monk and Polo over to their house, and Polo invites Boss, another dog from the neighborhood, to come along. Boss arrives upset, fearing his impending separation from his owner, Ned. It is revealed that Ned was granted ownership of their house through a will, which has gone missing, and without it, Boss must remain in the house with the new owner and Ned will become homeless. Inca’s friends and family gather forces, determined to come up with a plan to find the will before it is too late.

I love the fact that the author includes a sneak-peek into Inca’s family before the actual story begins so readers can have a sense of who the characters are and form a connection with them first-hand. The characters are extremely cute in attitude, backstory, and general appearance, making it easy for young readers to quickly get attached to them and want to continue reading about their story. Inca’s tone is very cheerful and excited throughout the book, which would spur the interest of readers who would enjoy the story and Inca’s character even more because of it.

The book sends a lot of meaningful messages that, I believe, are important for children to learn since they hold onto lessons they gain at a young age. For instance, Inca mentions that she and her family were hesitant in getting to know Terrance, the dog who lives next door, just because he is a dog. However, she does emphasize later that they all changed their perspective once they got to know Terrance and that they were wrong to judge him. The book, thus, teaches children to include others and gives them a valuable lesson about tolerance. Another example is when Inca attempts to find the will alone, wanting the glory for herself. She later discovers that her mission can't be completed without her friends and family and learns the value of teamwork.

The font the text is written in, which is a bit curly and bold, adds to the overall creative structure of the book. The plot of the book is also extremely interesting and its illustrations are attention-grabbing, both of which would keep children’s focus on the book and make them want to continue reading to find out what happens and visually see the events through the illustrations. Finally, the book is clearly professionally edited since it has no spelling or grammatical mistakes.

As a result of all the aforementioned good qualities and the fact that I did not find a single bad quality, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers between the ages of 7 and 10, specifically those who enjoy books with the main characters being animals. However, I believe readers who are 7 or 8 should have an adult assist them due to the book's long length and the presence of a few complicated words. I wouldn’t recommend it to readers above 10 years old since they may feel like the is beneath their level.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”