Review by almeidabel -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Review by almeidabel -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

LaMar Going genuinely surprised me in this book. The Juicy Fruit Man narrates us the unusual story of Declan Noakes. He is an experienced veteran of Vietnam and chooses to live free like a nomadic. While struggling against his inner demons, that are very present in his life and mind. His war experience was not good, it never is, and now Declan found on weed some comfort.

The peculiar way that Declan deals with his PTSD issues is extremely questionable. And yet, this is not his only war wound. He also almost died in Vietnam because of a serious head injury and lost part of the vision of one eye. And with so many scars he was not able to adjust himself in his old life. Therefore, he found in a life of nomads the most appropriate option for him. The book continued and the day that Declan, and his cousin, need do protect themselves and their possessions arrived.

When he finally arrives back home, Declan, among his cousin and most close friend, also start to smuggle Thai marijuana. The drug is popularly known as “juicy fruit” or “Thai sticks”. Right after he started to profitably sell the illegal drugs, two cops start to pursue him closely. Fortunately, they were never capable to accuse him of something. What I most dislike about the book was the third-person perspective. I personally prefer first-person narratives. However, this did not compromise the pleasant reading.

The story is professionally written and well-edited. I was incapable to find any error. The characters are carefully developed in a realistic and natural way. Moreover, the readers can easily comprehend what is going on with Declan and everyone involved with him.

What I most like about this book is that I could experience such a fluid reading that it did not even sound like fiction. The scenarios and war experiences were so descriptive and explanatory that I could see myself right there in the middle of the war with Declan. It additionally helps justified Declan’s actions and decisions, since they are not always constitutional. Declan set the classic example of the expression “good people also make bad choices.”

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because all the good points already listed. I would easily recommend this novel to anyone who loves genuine drama or suspense, especially adults since there is drug use. Although, I leave the warning for anyone sensitive to action description or thriller.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”