Review by Divergent_2020 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Review by Divergent_2020 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Divergent_2020 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Seattle Express catches fire, so Captain Steve Procida took the tough decision of vacating it. The crew split into two teams helmed by Steve and William and board two lifeboats to escape the fire. Once in the ocean, Steve tries to communicate with the other lifeboat but they couldn't establish any contact. They now have to survive the chilling December weather, make it safely to the nearest land 100 miles away, with a ration of only four days while the captain has no idea if the rest of the 11 members made it. When word spread that the Buckhorn Corporation’s massive ship has been abandoned, Warhorse - a small ancient ship, run by Larry and Louise, enters the scene to tug the ship and claim the money.

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the second book in the Strong Heart series. While Strong Heart revolved around Tom and his granddaughter Sarah, major parts of Adrift revolve around the father-daughter duo - William and Myra. Some characters are new in Adrift, some are repeated from Strong Heart, but you can follow the story even if you haven’t read the previous book.

Sailors adrift, a small rival company trying to oust a giant corporation, the powerful company worrying only about the goods lost, a marriage turning sour, a daughter praying for her father to return, and a son yearning to stay with his father, this story is cleverly built up. The story is equal parts endearing and thrilling.

What I liked the most is - that despite so many characters in the book, it did not get confusing and I liked plenty of them. Myra’s family, for instance, is very supportive. The way they stayed vigil when they heard nothing about William, was the beacon of hope and emotional support Myra needed. Sharing Steve’s personal life gave more depth to his character. He turned from just a Captain worried about what the future held for him to a doting father trying to make ends meet. There’s also Sarah - a teenager whose courage and confidence is admirable. Pete and his son Sam’s relationship - is beautifully portrayed. I had fun observing that Myra is the only character that's written in the first person although she's introduced to us much later. All the other characters are written in the third person. Whether there is more to it or not, it will be interesting to find out in the upcoming books.

Since there are a lot of characters, it’s only natural that there are multiple subplots. At one point, what began as a subplot of the father-daughter duo, got so engaging that whenever stories of other characters were being told, I got a little impatient. But more importantly, what Adrift lacked was clarity. There were lots of loose ends and unanswered questions that let it down.

Despite its shortcomings, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars because it has a great story. Adrift has mild profanity, one or two errors here and there but it did not distract me at all. I will recommend it to those who like to read voyages. Sheldon knows a lot about the ocean, and it shows. The knowledge of ships, waves, and the ocean are even used to bring a thrilling twist in the story. At no place will you question its legitimacy as he uses the correct terminologies. The survival, the food search, and the hunting for an indefinite time kept me on my toes. I couldn't put the book down and was constantly trying to keep track of all the characters. Even if you don’t read voyages, the subplots will keep you entertained. This is an unexpected trip you shouldn't miss out on!

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I read the first book and enjoyed reading it. It sounds like this one will also be a good choice for me. Thanks for your review.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I don't usually read such action-packed books like Adrift but I really enjoyed your review. It sounds like the story is quite complex, and the many characters are well-developed and likable. Thank you for the recommendation! :)
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Your review itself is action packed.I can only imagine how interesting the story must be.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, the book has so much going on both on the waters and on land, and your review aptly captures it. I also didn't like the many left-over unanswered questions when I read the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I've read many positive reviews about this book and got intrigued enough to give it a try :) Multiple subplots are not among my favorite aspects of the books tho. Thank you for a great review!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Charlie Sheldon is an amazing writer. I have read one of his books. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this book sounds really interesting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I find the book's premise fascinating. Thank you for writing this excellent review!
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Charlie Sheldon's Adrift must be quite a read. Survival in the chilly December weather must have been such a daunting task for the crew.Must read

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”