Review by cluthrie -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cluthrie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejucide
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluthrie.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review by cluthrie -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

Post by cluthrie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With the unprecedented global pandemic affecting our world, many of us are feeling more anxious and stressed than usual, so I was very excited to give Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress a read. Written by Gustavo Kinrys, M.D., and Alexandra Gold, M.A., this short book serves as a useful reference to understanding and relieving stress and anxiety in our daily lives.

The book is divided into several sections. First, Kinrys and Gold explain stress and anxiety, then catalog several approaches to reducing it, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), nutrient-based remedies, herbal-based remedies, alternative therapies, and other natural remedies. The book mentions many options to relieve your stress and anxiety, such as breathing exercises, music therapy, and meditation. I particularly found the breathing exercise section helpful, though I wish the instructional guidance were more explicit.

I really appreciate the tone of the writing, which is full of concern and empathy for all of the anxious, stressed people out there. The authors have created a wonderful guide that opened my eyes to several ways to improve my life. Moreover, the authors manage to remain tactful and kind in their writing, creating an encouraging environment for readers, free of judgement.

Something to note is that this guide, while including a rather comprehensive list of ways to relieve anxiety and stress, remains general. That is, while the book introduces an array of topics, it does not go into great detail in each section. Those who would appreciate a more in-depth approach might be better off with a different book. That said, I believe this book is a wonderful introductory resource for those looking to increase their skills in self-improvement, and those readers interested in further study can do their own research to learn more about any topics introduced, such as acupuncture or CBT. The writers helpfully include suggestions for further reading in the back of the book.

A great feature of this book is the appendix! I am sure I will reference those pages again and again. The appendix includes tables that list natural, herbal-based, and nutrient-based remedies. Each table is well-organized and contains concise information on how each remedy works. My favorite resource is the table listing anxiety and stress relieving foods. There is even a shopping list to help me pick out the right foods at the grocery store! And, as I’ve previously mentioned, there are plenty of resources available in the suggested reading list for those that want to learn more.

I award three out of four stars to Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress. Due to several minor editorial errors, I unfortunately couldn’t give this great little guide a perfect rating, as the errors produce a less professional effect. There are a few typos, minor inconsistencies, and even repetition of whole phrases between the preface and introduction. Other than that, I thought the book was insightful, charming, and most of all, a useful guide to everyone, as we all experience heightened levels of stress from time to time. Therefore, I recommend everyone give this book a try! Chances are you will learn something that will have a positive, possibly life-changing, effect.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by moonopam »

From your review, I think I wouldn't mind reading this book especially that no can escape stress. Nice review. Keeping doing good job.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I read this book when it was Book of the Month. It was an enlightening read with many key features of anxiety and stress. Thanks for an informative review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I’ve read this book and it indeed has a lot of interesting information on how to reduce stress and enxiety. Great review!
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

I love that we are talking about anxiety and stress more and more these days. I would really like to read this book. I've been researching this topic for quite some time, and I wonder if the book has something new to offer. Enjoyed your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”