Review by ankushavhad -- The Most Unlikely Champion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by ankushavhad -- The Most Unlikely Champion

Post by ankushavhad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Most Unlikely Champion" by Vera Koo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

History has witnessed an ideology, quoted as “the most remarkable climb only arrives after a fall,” that rightly fits here. I recalled a famous saying in Hindi “haar ke aage jeet hai” (meaning, “victory is over the defeat,”) we often quote in India. That will prove right when you conclude this book.

The Most Unlikely Champion is an uplifting and inspiring memoir of the author, Vera Koo (“Koo” in short), crafted by Justin Pahl. It is a story about a woman who joins a firearm safety course to overcome the fear of guns. Over time her passion for handling guns makes her goals the most accomplished shooters in the world of sport shooting. Her consistent determination in sports and faith in God transformed her into one of the most accomplished athletes in the world of action pistol.

The author, Koo, a Chinese-American, an early migrant from Hong Kong, writes about her experience as a shooter. A veteran sportswoman of inspiration, Koo is a Bianchi Cup winner of the National Action Pistol Championship. Being a world-class athlete, she feels honored with her sports journey. She narrated her accomplishments in sports, that is a moral tale about ups and downs in her life.

The book opens with an overview of the memoir, followed by an introduction to the author’s background. The stories narrate her involvement in the professional shooting. The incidents are heart-warming and moral in a way she speaks about her life, her family, and her career. The details capture her attributes in terms of hope, love, compassion, and forgiveness. These characteristics merit her personality. In her story, she touched upon her betrayal in relationships, her struggle in keeping cultural values, her ideology in life, as well as the mainstream journey of her in the shooting domain until she makes her goal of pistol champion. You will read in Koo’s experiences about unexpected tragedies, tremendous hurt, and betrayal; and how she faces them confidently by keeping a positive attitude and faith.

The story also highlights some prominent turning points in her life that detail how with a great determination and willpower, she lived with it. She mentions how being kind to others helped her to make adjustments in adverse situations. All those qualities inspired me the most. In this memoir, I found a balanced narration of Koo’s personal and professional life.

The storytelling is professionally organized and to the point. The description of shooting scenarios with clarity of terms used in the shooting sports are made easy to be understood by general readers. After reading her full story, somehow, out of pride, I felt paying gratitude. It made me revisit her photo collection on page 92-97. There, I could see the confidence on her face, then.

The book is a professionally written memoir. It has no overdose of fancy flavor. The formatting and structure of stories suit well for biography oriented books on personalities. Besides a couple of minor typos, the prose obeyed grammatical norms. I liked the entire picture collection. Hovered, the position of photos in the middle of the book disappointed me. I recommend they be listed separately at the end section, if not scattered in the respective contexts. The list of Championships and Records under the Achievements section has turned out a good structure.

I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars because the memoir has resulted in an excellent book that inspires the readers. I recommend this book to prospective sports personnel. The message in the book will help to motivate the young generation to set their goals in sports or otherwise. Young readers from Asia, mostly from Chinese origin, would praise the book as well.

The Most Unlikely Champion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Probably not a book for me, but I enjoyed the review :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

riyosha wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 02:11 Probably not a book for me, but I enjoyed the review :)
Thanks riyosha, for your view.
The book is quite inspiring to sport-mad souls. :)
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Hunters by Athena Luo

Post by khaulah »

Sounds like a really motivating book. I was always debating myself about reading it. Thanks to your review, I have a good idea about the book. Good job!
Latest Review: Hunters by Athena Luo
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy reading uplifting memoirs. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

khaulah wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 12:32 Sounds like a really motivating book. .....
Rightly said, Khaulah.
Yes, the book carried an inspiring story of Vera Koo, we should admire her bring the most unlikely Champion!
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

Elvis Best wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 17:34 I do enjoy reading uplifting memoirs......
Thanks Elvis, for your kind words.
Yes, the book is indeed one of the the motivational memoirs. Good reading.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

This review gives an impression of the book being a wonderful sports memoir with ample inspiration. Great review!
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

Wordlessly wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 09:07 ....ports memoir with ample inspiration......
Thanks Wordlessly, for your kind words.
Yes, the book is a memoir of a rare personality who unlikely achieved the topmost position in her sport line; indeed an inspiring tale. A good read. :)
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Really inspiring story. Taking that firearm safety course was really a turning point for her. Toppin it off with becoming a world-class athlete in the sport is truly a glorious achievement. I'd love to read more about Vera's story, and how she overcame her challenges. Great review!
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

derialist wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 11:22 Really inspiring story. Taking that firearm safety course was really a turning point for her. Toppin it off with becoming a world-class athlete in the sport is truly a glorious achievement. I'd love to read more about Vera's story, and how she overcame her challenges. Great review!
Rightly pointed, derialis.
Yes, for the rare personalities we often missed out the turning point of their greatest achievements really inspire readers we take it granted. A must-read motivational life lesson by Koo.
~ Ankush
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

I also felt that the memoir was well written. I think I enjoyed it as much as you did. And I was surprised by the picture section in the middle of the book, but it was nice getting to know how other characters looked, along with reading how their stories were interwoven through Vera's life. Thank you for the review!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

SenSen wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 16:52 ..... it was nice getting to know how other characters looked, along with reading how their stories were interwoven through Vera's life.....
Thanks for your kind words, SenSen. Appreciate.
Yes, the Pics section is a good resource for looking at Vera's buddies, they all had rapport with her. I think the photos were not scattered for reason of printing overhead. I wished they could have been in the end then to quickly refer at the end! :)
KafeliKe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kafelike.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by KafeliKe »

This sounds like an inspiring and enjoyable memoir with a female protagonist. I would love to read it. Moreover, I enjoyed reading this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”