Review by mary_schuld -- The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mary_schuld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-schuld.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Review by mary_schuld -- The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by mary_schuld »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bell Maker" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are interested in an inspiring and quick read, The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen is an excellent choice. This book explores the tale of a man discovering deeper meanings of life during The Great Age of Sound, which was the transition from a quiet and simple life to the hustle and bustle of the modern world. He learns of his grandfather’s life as a bell maker and how his grandfather’s life exemplified the power of God and his presence in everyday life if you simply listen. His grandfather’s little tin bell creates an amazing presence in society and holds power over the man’s life decades later as memories from his childhood resurface.

While reading this tale, I thoroughly enjoyed the way the author creates suspense and anticipation before he reveals the next point of the story. It engaged me in the moment and captivated my interest to create excitement for continued reading. I also enjoyed the aspects of faith and the beautiful power of God in our lives. There were constant inspiring lessons and messages to learn from throughout the entire book. On the other hand, I disliked the style of the writing. The story followed an almost stream of consciousness style, which occasionally made it difficult to understand. Although, I found that the style of writing often worked, there were a few times in the first few chapters where it interfered with the flow of the story. However, this was a minor flaw and did not affect the overall impact of the book and I still thought it was a fantastic read. Also, the book was well edited and did not seem to include typos.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was both inspirational and interesting to learn about. The levels of suspense added by the author allowed for me, the reader, to join the narrator in his journey towards discovering the tale and meaning of the little, gravity defying tin bell. It explained how everything happens for a reason and God can often reveals these reasons to us. It explores how the development of society, in the Great Age of Sound, has led to a lack of quiet and how humans are always seeking more out of life rather than living as you are, simply. I highly recommend this book because it provides a new found perspective toward life.

I believe this book can be beneficial to all audiences, however it should especially appeal to those looking to deepen their faith in God. It would not appeal to those strictly against beliefs in God, however I hesitate to say that you should not read it because regardless of the religious aspects, it provides a beautiful perspective on life. This is a story that most, if not all, audiences can learn something from.

The Bell Maker is a narrative that reveals truths of life and how the development of society has created a world where we are always seeking more structure and noise. The Great Age of Sound has brought in a changed world for the grandfather. Most of all, it teaches the symbolic power of the little bell that sits on his grandfather’s mantle. The beauty in such a small object reveals the message of the entire story and it is definitely worth the read.

The Bell Maker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”